Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A few words on pretentiousness

I've decided I sound a bit pretentious in my last post. Since I can be a bit pretentious, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but I'll try and keep the affectations to a minimum. As much as I can, anyway.
_
You hear people talk about arts wankers much more than you hear them talk about sports wankers - or at least I do. Maybe it's the circles I move in. I'm a bit of an arts wanker myself, I suppose. Do sports wankers exist? People that are so pretentious about their sport that it becomes a defining characteristic? And if so, does it manifest on the field as well as off?
_
I'm sure there are pretentious tennis players out there, though I can't name one off the top of my head. Just something to look out for in the coming season. What elements of your personality come through in your tennis game? What elements don't?
_
Is who you are on the court different to who you are off the court?
_
It happens in theatre. I'm a totally different person onstage than I am offstage. It is, to put it simply, acting. Do tennis players act too? How much of the oncourt mentality is themselves and how much is a construct?

No comments: