Saturday, February 7, 2009

Big Kev Said It Best...

I have to say it - I'm excited about our Fed Cup team. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Australian women's tennis has got a spring in its step again. I think Sam Stosur puts it best:
*
"Right from when we first got here we thought we had a good team ... three of us in the top 100 and Rennae in the doubles and Casey or myself able to play with Stubbsy in the doubles matches. It's a really good combination. Obviously the next tie is going to be tough depending who it's against and where it is, but I think we've got a great chance."
*
And she's pretty much right. Three women in the top hundred - when did that happen? Actually, come to think of it, we did have that before, but - well, it's all about Jelena Dokic, really. I think it would be fair to say that this clean sweepage that's been going on this week has been her triumph. I mean, it belongs to Stosur and Dellacqua and Stubbs, but this whole resurgence, this newfound confidence in women's tennis in Oz can almost wholly be credited to Dokic, I think, and that amazing showing she put in at the Aussie Open.
*
Now, I don't want to leave Sam Stosur out of this. She has had a fabulous week all week - and she certainly defeated the better player on the New Zealand squad today when she took out Marina Erakovic easily, while Dokic had more of a struggle against unranked Dianne Hollands. And she had that amazing comeback victory against Tamarine Tanasugarn, and she's just come back from that bizarre disease she had last year, and... yeah, this belongs to Sam too. But I think just as far as actual confidence goes, the notion that Australia actually has some real quality strength in women's tennis - I think that one's all Dokic.
*
It's not that we weren't strong before. Stosur and Dellacqua are both world class players. But just the injection of the energy that Dokic has brought... it's something special. Dokic mk. 1 was a fabulous player - she got to #4 in the world, the semis of Wimbledon, all kinds of things. But Dokic mk. 2 is a better model, methinks. I don't know whether she'll get to #4 in the world again, but as a tennis player and as a person, I think she is more complete now. And her meteoric rise out of nowhere... that is really, really good for Australian tennis. To use the immortal words of Big Kev, I'm excited!
*
*
Today's Results
*
SA Tennis Open (Johannesburg)
*
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga def. Frederico Gil, 6-3 6-4
Jeremy Chardy def. David Ferrer, 1-6 7-6 (11-9) 7-6 (7-4)
*
*
Movistar Open (Vina del Mar)
*
Fernando Gonzalez def. Juan Monaco, 6-0 6-2
Jose Acasuso def. Tommy Robredo, 5-7 6-2 6-4
*
*
PBZ Zagreb Indoors (Zagreb)
*
Marin Cilic def. Viktor Troicki, 6-2 7-5
Mario Ancic def. Jan Hernych, 6-7 (4-7) 6-3 7-6 (11-9)

1 comment:

Naf said...

Must be nice to be excited about your Fed Cup team, Jodi. You guys are lookin' good! I had to turn off the U.S.-Argentina match because we looked so hopeless. But good luck to you guys!