Sunday, May 17, 2009

I Know, But

Okay, I know that Rafa has played about a million hours of tennis in the last few weeks. I know he had an absolute thriller of a grinding match against Djokovic. I know that he's tired and exhausted and wasn't really himself out there today. I know that we can't get carried away.
*
But Federer won!
*
This will obviously have no ill-effect on Rafa whatsoever. That's the way he's wired. He's a cyborg, a machine, a total unit. He refused to make excuses for himself in his presser - he is a very good sport, that boy - but he must know how fatigued he is. That was Shmafa out there, not Rafa. However, I think it will be very good for Federer and his confidence. In his own words:
*
"It's not the moment to get carried away but it's definitely good for my confidence, especially beating Rafa in the final so it definitely proves that I am doing the right things and I am working extremely hard and it is paying off so it's a nice feeling. I am very excited about going to Paris, whereas a couple of weeks ago I was still a little bit unsure about my game and not sure if I could win the French Open."
*
Federer only really ever admits his wobbles after the fact, but I think we all knew this was true. It was going to be a disaster for him if he didn't win this match - it meant much more for him than for Rafa, I think. But now that he has, he'll keep on rolling. He's done exactly what he's asked for in all the clay tournaments - he saw how it went in Monte Carlo, made the semis in Rome and won Madrid. Now all he has to do is set his mind on winning Roland Garros and the game is over, yes?
*
We can hope.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open (Madrid)
*
Men's Draw
*
Roger Federer def. Rafael Nadal, 6-4 6-4
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Dinara Safina def. Caroline Wozniacki, 6-2 6-4

1 comment:

freakyfrites said...

WHOO HOO! The important thing is that given the conditions, this is a match Roger should have won. And he did - in straights. Just a couple weeks ago, he was losing these kind of matches. Definitely a sign the MOJO is BACK!!!