Monday, September 21, 2009

Where's The Love?

Maybe I'm the last sceptic left. Maybe tomorrow I'll be writing here, eating my words. Hell, maybe this fabled press conference has already taken place and I'm making myself look like a moron for not doing my research properly.

But I just don't believe Justine Henin is coming back to tennis.

Pretty much everything I've heard out of her mouth since she retired was about how much she hated tennis and how she would never, ever return. Hell, that's why she retired! No motivation! She was playing lacklustre tennis because she didn't want to play tennis.

Sure, some time away from the game might rekindle some love, as we saw with Kim Clijsters, but I'm just not convinced that JuJu's heart was ever really in it. She was never a passionate tennis player - which Kim was. Sure, JuJu was - and probably still is - exceptionally talented, but without the love? I just don't know.

I suppose if there is anything that would inspire her to come back, it would be Kim's comeback. If Kim can do it, why can't JuJu? I can see that logic. But Kim loves tennis. I'm not convinced that JuJu ever did, and as late as May this year she was ragging on the sport and vowing never to return.

So maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this press conference will be for JuJu to announce her return. But I won't believe it till I see it. And even if she does come back, without the love, I'm 100% sure she doesn't have a chance of emulating KimPossible.


Today's Results

BCR Open Romania (Bucharest)

Peter Luczak def. Karol Beck, 7-5 7-6 (8-6)
Marcel Granollers def. Petru-Alexandru Luncanu, 6-2 6-7 (3-7) 6-1


Open de Moselle (Metz)

Andreas Beck def. Yen-hsun Lu, 6-4 6-2
Bjorn Phau def. Rainer Schuettler, 7-6 (7-1) 7-6 (7-5)


Tashkent Open (Tashkent)

Stefanie Voegele def. Vitalia Diatchenko, 6-3 7-5
Galina Voskoboeva def. Neuza Silva, 6-4 3-6 6-4

No comments: