Saturday, October 24, 2009

Girls Made of Awesome

I'm guessing that the Yoker's year ending championships dream might be at an end, which is a shame that is THIS BIG. He didn't walk out on court for his semi-final, giving Marcos Baghdatis a walkover into the final. It's an elbow injury, I think - and I really hope it's not too serious. If Soderling doesn't continue on his run of awesomeness next year I'll be very disappointed. He's been so totally awesome this year. And much as Nando Verdasco has had an awesome year - that semi against Rafa at the Aussie has to be one of the matches of 2009 - I can't help feeling that the Yoker belongs in London at those championships. That French Open run alone warrants it.

(Much like Kim Clijsters belongs in Doha, but that's a whole other kettle of fish).

Baghdatis will meet Rochus in the final after wee Olivier beat Thomaz Bellucci in the other semi in three. No secret I'm pulling for Marcos. I want that smiley happy Cypriot to get his ranking back up there and have a decent run in Australia. There's really no sight like when you see the Greek crowds screaming for him as you're wandering round Melbourne Park. It's really something else. I don't know if he can get anywhere seeding level, but it would be awesome if he could. Marcos Baghdatis belongs in the second week in Australia. It's just the way it is.

And we have a lovely final over in Luxembourg - we have my special favourite and Girl Who Might Just Save The WTA Yet Sabine Lisicki playing young Swiss girl Timea Bacsinszky, who I think is pretty awesome too. I'm pulling for Sabine, what with her being my special favourite and all, but I wouldn't be devastated if Timmy pulled it out. Just getting to the final alone is pretty huge for her - it's her first, I think...? Anyway, that tournament is so win-win. I hearby declare Luxembourg, as a tournament, Made Of Awesome.

And a shoutout has to go to Francesca Schiavone in Moscow - back to back finals in two weeks = made of awesome! She lost to Sam Stosur (also made of awesome) last week - here's hoping she can come away with the title this week. Vive la one-handed backhand!


Today's Results

Kremlin Cup (Moscow)

Men's Draw

Mikhail Youzhny def. Mikhail Kukushkin, 6-2 6-1
Janko Tipsarevic def. Illya Marchenko, 6-1 6-4


Women's Draw

Francesca Schiavone def. Alona Bondarenko, 6-4 6-0
Olga Govortsova def. Alisa Kleybanova, 6-2 6-1


If Stockholm Open (Stockholm)

Marcos Baghdatis def. Robin Soderling, walkover
Olivier Rochus def. Thomaz Bellucci, 7-6 (7-4) 4-6 6-3


BGL Luxembourg Open (Luxembourg)

Timea Bacsinszky def. Yanina Wickmayer, 3-6 6-2 7-5
Sabine Lisicki def. Shahar Peer, 6-3 4-6 7-6 (7-5)

No comments: