Friday, July 31, 2009

Getting the Ball Rolling

I'd like to take a day's break from our quest for this year's Juan Martin del Potro to give a massive shoutout to the Aussie participants this week, who are batting well above their weight. Nice to see!
*
First, we have Chris Guccione who was definitely in a winning position against Mardy Fish - he had match points, I do believe - before going down in a tight three sets. I have mixed feelings about this match - coming so close, I believe Gooch should have won - but Fish is ranked a long way above him, and so playing him so tight for three sets is an achievement in and off itself. If only Gooch could close out a little better... he has all the tools he needs to be a Karlovic-style menace, I just wish he'd bring it to the court a little more often.
*
Then we have Samantha Stosur, who had a tremendous win over Serena in Stanford. That's right, Sam beat Serena. I think this is a bit of revenge for Sydney, where Sam had those match points and failed to convert. No such troubles this time. Stosur has really come into her own this year, ever since she made that semi at Roland Garros. She's making a charge towards the top ten - watch out! We haven't had a really bright star in women's tennis since the retirement of Molik, and I reckon Sam could be that girl. Onya, Sam!
*
But then, lastly and most remarkably of all, we have Carsten Ball making the semis in LA. Now, previous to this tournament, I'd have to say I didn't rate Ball at all. I hadn't seen him play singles, but I'd seen him play doubles with Guccione, and I really wasn't that impressed with what I saw. Well, time to eat my words, because Ball clearly has a little somethin' somethin' going on. You don't reach a tour level final without a bit of jazz. Now I am totally prepared to become a Ball fan... even if it is only for the awesome punning opportunities his name affords me! So c'mon Carsten and make it to the final - do it for the puns... and the pundits.
*
Yes, I really said that.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Allianz Suisse Open Gstaad (Gstaad)
*
Igor Andreev def. Jeremy Chardy, 6-3 6-3
Thomaz Bellucci def. Nicolas Kiefer, 3-6 1-0 retired
Andreas Beck def. Victor Crivoi, 6-4 7-6 (7-5)
Marcos Daniel def. Florent Serra, 6-4 7-6 (7-1)
*
*
ATP Studena Croatia Open (Umag)
*
Nikolay Davydenko def. Simone Bolelli, 7-6 (12-10) 6-1
Juan Carlos Ferrero def. Maximo Gonzalez, 7-5 6-2
Andreas Seppi def. Nicolas Massu, 6-4 6-4
Jurgen Melzer def. Ivan Ljubicic, 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 6-3
*
*
LA Tennis Open (Los Angeles)
*
Carsten Ball def. John Isner, 6-4 6-4
Leonardo Mayer def. Mardy Fish, walkover
Sam Querrey def. Dudi Sela, 6-3 7-5
*
*
Bank of the West Classic (Stanford)
*
Samantha Stosur def. Serena Williams, 6-2 3-6 6-2
Elena Dementieva def. Daniela Hantuchova, 6-2 6-4
*
*
Istanbul Cup (Istanbul)
*
Vera Dushevina def. Anabel Medina Garrigues, 6-1 6-2
Andrea Petkovic def. Olga Govortsova, 6-3 6-3
Lucie Hradecka def. Marta Domachowska, 6-1 5-7 6-4
Timea Bacsinszky def. Urszula Radwanska, 6-0 6-1

No comments: