Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Kitchen Revisited

I don't follow women's tennis anywhere near as closely as I follow men's tennis, but the two matches yesterday were profoundly interesting.
*
Firstly, Jelena Jankovic vs. Serena Williams yesterday. That was a weird match. There is really no other way to describe it. It was just... strange. There were about eighty-four breaks of serve, and Serena just wasn't there. I'm not really a Williams fan, but as a tennis fan, it was concerning to see such a major player in the women's game playing so listlessly. I don't know if she was injured or if it was psychological or what, but she clearly wasn't all there. And even though Serena is a great player even when she's off the boil, I don't feel like Jankovic really played that well either. There's nothing I can put my finger on and say, well, obviously, that's where she fell down, but I think that, on the whole, Jelena can play much better than that. It was a weird match in that sense, I suppose... it was a quarter-final, and they were both in it, but it wasn't especially good, I suppose.
*
On the contrary, that match between Henin and Sharapova was fabulous. I don't really like either of them, so I wasn't involved in it at all... I couldn't even decide who I was sort of going for. I was totally neutral. And the standard was very, very high! Henin, to tell the truth, probably did not play her best, but Sharapova was on fire. I can't say I was especially pleased with the way she conducted herself in her post-match interview - has anyone else noticed how she gives interviewers the brush off? It's kind of rude - but she played amazing tennis. She's everyone's new tip for the title now that Henin is gone... and I can see why! I'm liking a Sharapova/Ivanovic final this year, with a Sharapova victory. Actually, I'd like to see a Jankovic/Ivanovic final, but I don't think Jankovic will stand up to Sharapova if they both keep playing at their current standards.
*
And the contest for this year's Marcos is over. I think it's become pretty clear that it's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. I don't know if he's captured the Australian imagination quite the way Marcos did - though considering Marcos had the entire Greek community on his side that would be pretty difficult - but he's definitely got the giant-killing downpat. Baghdatis, when he came through, knocked off Roddick, Ljubicic and Nalbandian. Tsonga has taken out Murray, Gasquet and Youzhny. Next up is Rafa. Roddick was the 2 seed back in '06 and Rafa is the 2 seed here, so can Tsonga do it?
*
Only time will tell. But I think a lot of it is in Tsonga's head. Or his kitchen, as Roger Rasheed would say. (I thought the first time he brought out the kitchen metaphor it was a sort of verbal accident. But he said it again a few days ago, and my jaw dropped in awe at his stupidity.) It's like Ferrer. If he believes he can, he will. Rafa is a big giant to kill, but Tsonga's game is great - his footwork especially. If he comes out firing, then I think he'll do just fine. The first set is the key against Rafa, I feel. He's been down set points in at least two or three of his first sets thus far - including against Nieminen in the quarters - and got out of it every time, and then the opponent has sort of gone away. If Tsonga can get that first set... then we're in for a match, baby!
*
*
Australian Open Results - Day 9
*
Men's Draw
*
Rafael Nadal def. Jarkko Nieminen, 7-5 6-3 6-1
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga def. Mikhail Youzhny, 7-5 6-0 7-6 (8-6)
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Maria Sharapova def. Justine Henin, 6-4 6-0
Jelena Jankovic def. Serena Williams, 6-3 6-4

No comments: