Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mirnyi Lays Down The Law

First things first: I know there's lots of proper grown up tennis going on in the world at the moment, but I have to say the result I found most exciting was in the Optus under-12 National Championships, where little Ashleigh Barty and Li Tu took out the titles. Not having seen either of them play, I can make no real comment, but the fact that such an event exists and the standard is reportedly so high is a very good sign for the future of Australian tennis. Here's hoping these kids grow up into something spectacular, so I can look back at this post when I'm thirty, thirty-five, and say, 'I told you so.'
*
No major upsets in the grown up tennis world today, unless you count Juan Martin del Potro, who was technically beaten, but it was a walkover, so I don't know if that counts. The only other seeded player to be beaten was Janko Tipsarevic, who got knocked out in Moscow by Viktor Troicki. I saw Troicki play Nadal at the Australian Open this year, and though Nadal beat him in straights, he played very well and held a couple of set points, so it's nice to see that potential come through.
*
Speaking of potential, Star of the Future Kei Nishikori had a good win over Dominik Hrbaty - I know Hrbaty isn't exactly the best, most in-form player on the circuit right now, but a win is a win, and I am very proud of my Kei. For he is one of mine, and that is something. And yay for Marat, who strung a second win onto his first one! He beat Julien Benneteau, despite Benneteau handing him a bagel in the second set.
*
And a big shout out to Max Mirnyi, who got his degree! I find it incredible how some of these players can find time to study when you consider the rigorous life of a tennis player - I mean, I know Ancic earned his degree while he was off with glandular fever, but it takes years to earn a degree - particularly a law degree, which is what both of these guys now have. They both must have been studying like crazy. I have major kudos for both of them. I find it hard enough to study in my own life - I can't imagine what it would be like if you had to deal with being a professional athlete as well. Particularly writing a thesis, which both of them did - Mirnyi's was about the human rights of children, and Ancic's about the legal status of the ATP, or somesuch. I'm putting the finishing touches on my thesis now, and it has consumed my whole life. I can't imagine having to spend hours and hours and hours training and playing and whatnot every single day. And I don't know about Ancic, but Mirnyi has a family, as well. Max, you are a machine. I salute you.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Kremlin Cup (Moscow)
*
Men's Draw
*
Nikolay Davydenko, def. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, 6-1 6-1
Paul-Henri Mathieu def. Dudi Sela, 6-7 (3-7) 7-5 7-6 (7-0)
Marat Safin def. Julien Benneteau, 6-4 0-6 6-2
Viktor Troicki def. Janko Tipsarevic, 6-3 6-4
Mischa Zverev def. Teimuraz Gabashvili, 6-2 2-6 6-1
Igor Kunitsyn def. Robby Ginepri, 6-4 6-3
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Jelena Jankovic def. Vera Dushevina, 6-7 (6-8) 6-3 6-2
Vera Zvonareva def. Daniela Hantuchova, 6-1 6-0
Nadia Petrova def. Caroline Wozniacki, 6-4 3-2 retired
Flavia Pennetta def. Ekaterina Makarova, 3-6 6-4 6-4
*
*
If Stockholm Open (Stockholm)
*
David Nalbandian def. Joachim Johansson, 6-3 6-2
Mario Ancic def. Steve Darcis, 7-6 (7-4) 6-4
Jarkko Nieminen def. Arnaud Clement, 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-2
Robin Soderling def. Juan Monaco, 6-3 6-3
Albert Montanes def. George Bastl, 1-6 6-3 6-2
Kei Nishikori def. Dominik Hrbaty, 6-1 1-6 7-5
*
*
Bank Austria Tennis Trophy (Vienna)
*
Philipp Kohlschreiber def. Juan Martin Del Potro, walkover
Gael Monfils def. Radek Stepanek, 6-4 6-3
Feliciano Lopez def. Santiago Giraldo, 7-6 (7-5) 6-3
Jurgen Melzer def. Juan Carlos Ferrero, 7-6 (7-4) 6-3

1 comment:

Tennis Talk, Anyone? said...

Hey Jodi. Yeah, all the credit to Mirnyi for pulling that off. You're right: With him having a family, too, I don't know how he accomplished that! I work full time and had been going back to school over the past year, but with my schedule can only take one class at a time. Maybe it's easier to do when you're on the tour!