Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Woman Scorned

I was going for Gilles Simon, I'll admit it, but all credit to Andy Murray for pulling off another Masters Series win - his second one straight. With that, and making the final of the US Open, he's really proved he's ready for the big time. With the game the way it is - ie. dominated by two of the best players ever - I don't know if he'll ever make it to #1, but I reckon he could certainly turn this Big Three phenomenon into the Big Four if he continues this way. He certainly has the ability to catch up to Djokovic. Hell, if you pitted them against each other now, I don't know which one I'd pick. Murray, probably, on the grounds that I like him more. Not that I'm a massive Murray fan - I think he still has some attitude lessons to learn - but I still like him more than Djokovic.
*
Neither final went my way - I was really, really hoping Flavia Pennetta would take out the title in Zurich. She is a woman scorned! She deserves to win stuff! But no one can take the credit away from Venus, I suppose. It must be really tough to play a player that is technically a long way below you rankings-wise, but who beats you all the time anyway - Venus has had a bit of a problem with Pennetta of late, so kudos to her for overcoming it.
*
But here's hoping Flavia's career goes into overdrive now. Because no one deserves more stuff than a woman scorned. That is my professional opinion.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Mutua Madrilena Masters Madrid (Madrid)
*
Andy Murray def. Gilles Simon, 6-4 7-6 (8-6)
*
*
Tennis.com Zurich Open (Zurich)
*
Venus Williams def. Flavia Pennetta, 7-6 (7-1) 6-2

No comments: