Friday, January 2, 2009

Abu Dhabi Derby

Not exactly the start to the year I was hoping from in Abu Dhabi, but at least it's only an exo. And if you are going to lose to someone in three sets, I guess a third set breaker isn't a bad way to go about it - particularly one that finishes up 8-6. I didn't see the match, but if you're playing against Andy Murray and it's that tight, your form can't suck that badly.
*
That's what I'll keep telling myself, anyway. And besides, it means he'll be fresher for Doha, a proper tournament, where POINTS WILL BE GAINED, because he didn't play it last year. And I'm not especially keen to see that gap from him to Novak, which is currently ten points, get any smaller. I will remember Kooyong '07, where Federer pretty much let Roddick beat him in the final, and then went on and pounded him into the ground in the semis. My favourite match ever.
*
What is with this thing with Murray and three sets, though? I don't think I remember a best-of-three match against Andy that Roger's won. Best-of-five, Roger's all over that. But over three, Murray is becoming a bit of a bugabear.
*
Nonetheless, this should make for a very interesting final. Rafa took out Kolya no worries, so we have a Murray/Nadal final. Considering what went down in the finals of the US Open, I think a rematch will be pretty intriguing... while Roger is in Doha, getting ready to bring the brouhaha!
*
*
Today's Results
*
Capitala World Tennis Championship (Abu Dhabi)
*
Andy Murray def. Roger Federer, 4-6 6-2 7-6 (8-6)
Rafael Nadal def. Nikolay Davydenko, 6-2 6-3
*
*
Josh's Tennis Tips
Focus: Forehand
Today's Tip: Slowing Down Your Shots
*
When you play a shot do you rush to the ball and hit it as quickly as possible to get your shot over and done with? Well, maybe that is your problem. To create the best chance of getting your shot where you want it to go you need to slow it down and make the most of every opportunity to get it where you want.

No comments: