Friday, April 10, 2009

Poor Form in Ponte Vedra Beach

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. I was really hoping that Dominika Cibulkova would win this week in Ponte Vedra Beach and make me look really clever for talking about her earlier as a real contender in the Roland Garros mix. No such luck. She went out to Elena Vesnina - in three sets, but out nonetheless. I expected a little more.
*
I had another one I was watching in this tournament and she also went out. I've been a little intrigued by Tamira Paszek ever since she came so close to knocking out Jelena Jankovic in the first round of the Aussie Open last year. She hasn't had great results, but she's had some good ones, and I keep waiting for her to make a breakthrough, because as soon as she has a decent run, I am fully prepared to admit her to the Stars club with Sabine Lisicki and Anastasia Pavlychenkova. But looks like it won't be this week - she went out to Aleksandra Wozniak of Canada.
*
But them's the breaks, I guess.
*
Not too much happening over with the blokes... though I think the point about clay being the great leveller was proved over in Houston, where all four of the top seeds have been eliminated. Though that could be a signal of the depth extant in the ATP, unlike the WTA. Who can tell these things?
*
*
Today's Results
*
Grand Prix Hassan II (Casablanca)
*
Igor Andreev def. Marc Gicquel, 6-1 6-3
Albert Montanes def. Frederico Gil, 7-6 (7-5) 6-4
Juan Carlos Ferrero def. Victor Hanescu, 6-3 7-5
Florent Serra def. Teimuraz Gabashvili, 6-0 6-4
*
*
Andalucia Tennis Experience (Marbella)
*
Jelena Jankovic def. Roberta Vinci, 3-6 6-3 7-6 (8-6)
Sorana Cirstea def. Kaia Kanepi, 6-4 2-6 7-5
Anabel Medina Garrigues def. Sara Errani, 6-2 6-7 (4-7) 7-5
Carla Suárez Navarro def. Klara Zakopalova, 6-1 6-2
*
*
MPS Group Championships (Ponte Vedra Beach)
*
Nadia Petrova def. Alona Bondarenko, 4-6 6-3 7-6 (7-5)
Elena Vesnina def. Dominika Cibulkova, 7-5 6-7 (5-7) 6-3
Aleksandra Wozniak def. Tamira Paszek, 6-3 3-6 7-6 (9-7)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tamira played pretty well in Ponte Vedra this week. Having watched a total of five of her matches in person in Miami and Ponte Vedra Beach the past three weeks, I believe she has turned the corner under new coach Angel Jimenez. I expect some big results from her as the year progresses.