Thursday, April 16, 2009

Whaaaaaaaat?

What? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
*
This is exactly what I said this morning when I woke up and saw the results. I'm sorry - I love Stan Wawrinka - but he is not supposed to beat Roger Federer. That's not the way it goes. And he is especially not supposed to beat Roger Federer in straights. That's just not the way it's supposed to happen! Not happy, Jan!
*
More time for honeymooning, I suppose. But this is not what I would like to be seeing from Roger at the moment. If he doesn't pick the basket back up and go deep in Rome, then I am going to start to be very seriously concerned. I already am very seriously concerned, but considering he's a newlywed, I'm willing to forgive this one. And I suppose Stan deserved one win. But... whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
*
I bet everyone is saying whaaaaaaaat? about Andreas Beck's results as well - probably even Andreas Beck. Now there's a quarter-final pick I bet nearly no one made. I remember seeing him play once - maybe Wimbledon last year? - and quite enjoying it, but I don't think I ever would have expected this one. He'll face Stan in the next round. This is a good chance for Stan, I suppose - it was about now that he made his big run last year that got him into the top ten. So that will be an interesting one to watch.
*
But still... whaaaaaaaaaat?
*
And someone else saying whaaaaaaaaaaat? will be Venus Williams, who lost to Sabine Lisicki - one of my Stars! I thought all was looking bleak on the Star front this week, but she's doing me proud!
*
*
Today's Results
*
Monte Carlo Rolex Masters (Monte Carlo)
*
Stanislas Wawrinka def. Roger Federer, 6-4 7-5
Novak Djokovic def. Albert Montanes, 6-1 6-7 (4-7) 6-0
Fernando Verdasco def. David Ferrer, 6-2 6-1
Andreas Beck def. Juan Monaco, 3-6 6-2 7-5
*
*
Family Circle Cup (Charleston)
*
Elena Dementieva def. Varvara Lepchenko, 6-1 6-1
Sabine Lisicki def. Venus Williams, 6-4 7-6 (7-5)
Caroline Wozniacki def. Peng Shuai, 6-3 6-4
Marion Bartoli def. Melanie Oudin, 6-4 6-1
Dominika Cibulkova def. Anastasia Rodionova, 6-7 (6-8) 6-2 6-3
*
*
Barcelona Ladies Open (Barcelona)
*
Carla Suárez Navarro def. Emilie Loit, 6-2 7-5
Lucie Safarova def. Sara Errani, 6-3 6-3
Francesca Schiavone def. Nicole Vaidisova, 6-2 6-3
Tatjana Malek def. Stéphanie Cohen-Aloro, 5-0 retired

No comments: