Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sister Knows Best

It really was only fitting that Serena win Doha - that the #1 player this year come away on a high. I don't really have a whole lot more to say than that, really.

I like that the girl that won won every match. I really, really am not a fan of round robin play. I mean, I see why it works out well for all involved in a year-ending championship capacity, but I'm still not a fan. There's just something not right about someone losing a match and winning a tournament. I guess I've been conditioned to the knock out winner takes all format too much... but there's a reason Etienne de Villiers' round robin experiment was an epic fail.

Okay, so I didn't exactly mean to get on a rant about round robin there, but it is interesting to think what other structures the year ending championship might take. I can definitely see why round robin is the format chosen for now - it means that people who pay for tickets definitely get to see the big guys/girls play. And in a tournament where everyone is elite, there's no such thing as an easy opener.

But still. It's good to see that the person winning wins every match, nonetheless. Congratulations, Serena.

And big, big congratulations to Ivan Ljubicic as well, who won his first ATP title in, like, forever, in Lyon. I'm a big Ljubicic fan - you've got to love a man who is that eloquent! - and so I hope to see more of him deep in tournaments in the near future!


Today's Results

Sony Ericsson Championships (Doha)

Serena Williams def. Venus Williams, 6-2 7-6 (7-4)


St Petersburg Open (St Petersburg)

Sergiy Stakhovsky def. Horacio Zeballos, 2-6 7-6 (10-8) 7-6 (9-7)


Bank Austria Tennis Trophy (Vienna)

Jurgen Melzer def. Marin Cilic, 6-4 6-3


Grand Prix de Tennis de Lyon (Lyon)

Ivan Ljubicic def. Michael Llodra, 7-5 6-3

No comments: