Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Countdown to the Hopman Cup

The Hopman Cup is coming up wonderfully fast - off season be damned, I am totally ready for some goddamn tennis! - and it's my favourite tournament of the year, as I am fond of saying a lot.

So let's talk Hopman, shall we?

The reason I love it is because, I think, it is practically a team sport, and as an Australian, I am conditioned to love these. (See cricket). You've got a guy, a girl, three rubbers, and heaps and heaps of fun times. It's like Davis Cup with a side of equality, and it is big fun.

And seriously, mixed doubles? Most underplayed sport ever. I love mixed doubles. Will anyone ever forget the proset that Dmitry Tursunov and Nadia Petrova played against Tommy Robredo and Anabel Medina Garrigues? I sure won't.

And, moreover, it's a great opportunity for players to learn things from each other and for young guns to shine. It's not the most prestigious tournament ever, despite the fact it's got to be a perfect tune up for the Open (hello, at least three guaranteed matches). This means that you'll often get one big name (Andy Murray this year) and a whole bunch of fierce young things ready to take them on. I'm excited to see how Laura Robson does, and Melanie Oudin as well. But we all know my special favourite is Sabine Lisicki and I'm pulling for her to do big things.

And I'm going to be there!

No comments: