Friday, October 10, 2008

A Good Day in the Safin(a) Household

Well, I bet it's a happy night tonight in the Safin(a) household. Both Marat and Dinara had great wins today, against excellent fellow Russians - Dinara took out Svetlana Kuznetsova, which is hardly surprising, considering Kuznetsova's recent headcaseness and Dinara's lack of it, but more surprisingly, the big guy took out Nikolay Davydenko, to whom he has lost, like, nine hundred times in a row. This puts Marat in the semis of an event - something we don't see often and haven't seen since (I can't believe I'm saying this) Wimbledon.
*
He's playing Mischa Zverev next, which is a match you think he ought to be able to win, though you never know with Marat. I place no bets and make no claims. I merely hope. I hope sincerely that the wheels don't fall off and that this win over Davydenko wasn't all he had left in the tank. I hope that Dinara has a good talk to him about focus, because she has plenty and to spare.
*
It's a pretty strange set of semi-finalists in Moscow, actually - Safin is the only seed left. In the other semi, there's Santoro (of whom I am very fond, as he plays fun tennis) and Kunitsyn. There's a shot at an all-Russian final, which I'm sure would make the organisers happy. Actually, over in the girls, an Russian final is a possibility as well - Jankovic is the odd duck out among Safina, Zvonareva and Dementieva. You'd like Jankovic to get the final - but then, you never know when she's going to injure herself and the suchlike.
*
Elsewhere, I am glad that my Star Kei Nishikori got through - with the demise of Jeremy Chardy, he's the only one left - but I wish it didn't have to be this way. He got a walkover against Ancic, who's out with bronchitis and a fever. Poor Super Mario - I hope he's okay. He's a bad time of it with the illness and all - I know the glandular fever knocked Federer about, but it has messed with Ancic big time, the poor guy. The team here at Tennis From The Backseat (...ie. me...) wish him a heartfelt get well soon!
*
Speaking of Federer, I'm glad he's playing Madrid next week - I want him to defend his points, and make better on them, if he can. Rafa has a good chance of extending his lead, as he rarely does well in the indoor court season and thus has little to defend and a lot to gain, and I'd rather not see that lead get too much bigger, for much as I like Rafa, Roger is my special favourite and always will be.
*
Meanwhile, on the front page of today's Sydney Morning Herald is some nefarious plot from Sydney to steal the Australian Open when Melbourne's contract expires in 2016 - and apparently Shanghai, Dubai and Abu Dhabi have similar plans. I don't like this idea AT ALL. Much as having the Open in Sydney would be lightyears more convenient for me, it BELONGS in Melbourne. And if it were to move overseas... how I would ever see any tennis, ever? Yes, that's selfish, but I don't care. The Australian Open belongs in Melbourne, and that's all there is to it.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Kremlin Cup (Moscow)
*
Men's Draw
*
Marat Safin def. Nikolay Davydenko, 7-6 (7-5) 4-6 6-4
Fabrice Santoro def. Paul-Henri Mathieu, 6-3 2-0 retired
Mischa Zverev def. Viktor Troicki, 6-4 3-6 7-5
Igor Kunitsyn def. Jeremy Chardy, 6-4 6-2
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Jelena Jankovic def. Flavia Pennetta, 7-6 (8-6) 6-3
Dinara Safina def. Svetlana Kuznetsova, 6-4 7-5
Elena Dementieva def. Nadia Petrova, 6-4 4-6 7-6 (8-6)
Vera Zvonareva def. Dominika Cibulkova, 7-5 6-4
*
*
If Stockholm Open (Stockholm)
*
David Nalbandian def. Albert Montanes, 6-4 6-1
Kei Nishikori def. Mario Ancic, walkover
Jarkko Nieminen def. Oscar Hernandez, 6-1 6-4
Robin Soderling def. Rainer Schuettler, 6-2 7-5
*
*
Bank Austria Tennis Classic (Vienna)
*
Gael Monfils def. Fernando Gonzalez, 6-3 7-6 (7-2)
Philipp Kohlschreiber def. Fernando Verdasco, 6-2 6-3
Feliciano Lopez def. Jurgen Melzer, 4-6 6-3 6-4
Philipp Petzschner def. Carlos Moya, 6-4 6-2

No comments: