Thursday, October 30, 2008

Argentinian Grudge Rematch

Wow, I'm sensing some pent-up aggression from David Nalbandian. He seems like a man who would hold a quality grudge, and, even though I have absolutely no evidence of this, I get the sense that he's feeling some resentment towards Juan Martin del Potro right now, what with the whole del Potro being the golden boy of Argentinian tennis right now. Not so fast! says Big Dave. This is the second time in two weeks Nalbandian has trounced del Potro, and I bet he's loving it on the inside. Their Davis Cup training camp must be a pleasant place to be.
*
We bid farewell to the last of my Stars for the year - bye guys! Cilic lost today, but I have to admit I wasn't going for him... he was playing Federer. Much as I love my Stars, I love Roger more! He looked in fine form heading into the quarters, where he'll play James Blake, I think. Let's hope those Olympic jitters don't get to him! I think he'll be fine, somehow. His thing with Rafa aside, Roger is not prone to being a headcase.
*
And Djokovic got knocked out! That was awesome. Still, I hope it doesn't mean he's feeling all rested and good heading into Shanghai. Still, it's not next week next week, is it? There's a week between Paris and Shanghai. Or at least I hope there is. Doha is next week with the girls, and then Shanghai the week after. I think. I hope.
*
Back to Djokovic getting knocked out, which made me say AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic never scored a victory over Tsonga again. Jo-W seems to have his number now, and I don't think he's going to let the Aussie Open final happen again. On the whole, Djokovic has not been that impressive of late. I know he made the US Open semi, but other than that, what has he won of late? He made the final in Thailand, but Jo-W got him. This was when he started winning big points last year... so is he on the slide? Or is this wishful thinking on my behalf?
*
And Andy Roddick has qualified for the Masters Cup. He still should have gone to the Olympics, but well done, A-Rod!
*
*
Today's Results
*
BNP Paribas Masters (Paris)
*
Roger Federer def. Marin Cilic, 6-3 6-4
Rafael Nadal def. Gael Monfils, 6-3 6-2
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga def. Novak Djokovic, 6-4 1-6 6-3
Andy Murray def. Fernando Verdasco, 6-3 7-6 (8-6)
Nikolay Davydenko def. Tomas Berdych, 6-1 6-1
Andy Roddick def. Gilles Simon, 6-3 7-5
David Nalbandian def. Juan Martin del Potro, 6-4 6-0
James Blake def. Philipp Kohlschreiber, 6-4 6-4
*
*
Bell Challenge (Quebec)
*
Nadia Petrova def. Varvara Lepchenko, 6-2 6-4
Bethanie Mattek def. Valérie Tétreault, 7-6 (7-4) 3-6 7-6 (7-1)

No comments: