Friday, February 27, 2009

Boys Light Up

There's tennis going on all over the world right now - in Dubai, in Acapulco, in Delray Beach - but there's another tournament going on that no one's really going to write about, and it's in my own country, so I think that makes it my duty.
*
That, of course, would be the Maccabi Men's Challenger in East Bentleigh. It may only be a Challenger, but I think it offers some signs of hope for the future - how often do you see four Aussie blokes in the semis of a tournament, even one of the satellites? Sure, it is on home soil, but I'm not sure how much I believe in the home court advantage in tennis... it's not like cricket or football or anything like that, where you can legitimately know the way a stadium plays better than your opposition. So, good on you, Aussie boys - it's going to be an Aussie holding up the trophy for sure!
*
The four we have to choose from are Colin Ebelthite (winner of the December Showdown), Marinko Matosevic (who shares a birthday with Roger Federer), Brydan Klein (newest member of the Davis Cup team) and Bernard Tomic (boy wonder). Ebelthite and Matosevic are one semi, then the blockbuster, one would imagine, would be Klein and Tomic in the other, Australian Open junior champs from '07 and '08 going head to head. That should be an absolute corker.
*
Who do I want to win? Well, to tell the truth, I don't much mind. It'd be good to see Klein go well so he has a big lead-in to Davis Cup next week... Ebelthite's been round for a while and could use some love... I don't know a whole lot about Matosevic but he's definitely on the up and up... and I always pull for Tomic, as you all know. But it's just so great to see Aussie boys doing so well, even if it is 'just' a Challenger. Tennis drought my foot. We've got some good boys - and even if they aren't #1, they doesn't mean we can't still be very proud of them.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships (Dubai)
*
Novak Djokovic def. Gilles Simon, 3-6 7-5 7-5
David Ferrer def. Richard Gasquet, 6-2 6-2
*
*
Abierto Mexicano Telcel (Acapulco)
*
Men's Draw
*
Gael Monfils def. Leonardo Mayer, 6-3 6-7 (4-7) 4-1 retired
Jose Acasuso def. Tommy Robredo, 7-5 6-2
Nicolas Almagro def. Daniel Gimeno-Traver, 6-2 7-6 (7-2)
Martin Vassallo Arguello def. Daniel Koellerer, 6-3 7-6 (8-6)
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Flavia Pennetta def. Iveta Benesova, 6-3 6-3
*
*
Delray Beach International Tennis Championships (Delray Beach)
*
Jeremy Chardy def. Marcos Baghdatis, 7-6 (9-7) 7-6 (7-3)
Christophe Rochus def. Stefan Koubek, 6-3 7-6 (8-6)
*
*
PS. Another gratuitous spruik for my other blog, The Black Valentine's Day Manifesto - http://blackvalentinemanifesto.wordpress.com. It has nothing to do with tennis - it's more about ... well, being 23 and living in Canberra, I suppose. So if you've ever wondered what I do when I'm not writing Tennis From The Backseat or crying over Roger Federer matches (a question which I'm sure has kept you awake at night) please check it out!

No comments: