Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lleyton Lifts

As I write this, Tommy Robredo has four match points against Juan Monaco in the final of Buenos Aires... of which he has now lost three, but even if he loses the match, then my point still stands. He's one of the guys to beat at this point in the season. Watch this space.
*
Another one who's been good to watch this week has been - surprise, surprise - Lleyton Hewitt. I know I'm jumping on this bandwagon a little late, but he's seriously been playing some inspired stuff. He won more points than Roddick did in that match, and if he hadn't played such a dodgy breaker in the second...
*
He has said that he wants to get back into the top ten, and while I think that one's a little out of his grasp, if he continues to play like he did in Memphis this week, he certainly has a shot of finding himself well within the top fifty again. A Grand Slam seeding is a good goal for him, I think... and with his current level of play, it should be no trouble.
*
And Tommy Robredo just won in Buenos Aires. That's two tournaments on the trot. Not bad, eh? And Victoria Azarenka just won her second career title in Memphis. Are we going to see her and her bad attitude take a run at the top ten?
*
*
Today's Results
*
Regions Morgan Keenan Championships (Memphis)
*
Victoria Azarenka def. Caroline Wozniacki, 6-1 6-3
*
*
Copa Telmex (Buenos Aires)
*
Tommy Robredo def. Juan Monaco, 7-5 2-6 7-6 (7-5)
*
*
Open 13 (Marseille)
*
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga def. Michael Llodra, 7-5 7-6 (7-3)
*
*
Copa Sony Ericsson Colsanitas (Bogota)
*
María José Martínez Sánchez def. Gisela Dulko, 6-3 6-2

1 comment:

Tennis Talk, Anyone? said...

Hey Jodi, what's up? I've been high on Robredo since your summer season down there, too. I've just really liked his attitude so far this year: He just really seems to want it. I'm gonna go you a step further, though, on his French prospects: I think he'll at least get to the finals! That's a Van exclusive for you!