Thursday, July 22, 2010

Keeping On Keeping On

I haven't been paying too much attention to women's tennis lately - naughty me - so I think it's time I rectified that a little. I haven't even really been checking the scores, so I was really very pleasantly surprised to see a new favourite of mine winning her second round match in Portoroz.

That new favourite is Stefanie Voegele of Switzerland and I really think she's going to grow up awesome. And no, I don't just like her because she's Swiss. She played Serena tight and fierce in the first round of Roland Garros this year and she seriously had some game going on - both in her game and in her head. Seriously, the girl's got a serious tennis brain on her shoulders.

I haven't seen too much of her play besides that one match, but if she continues to play like she did in that one match, she is going to be something. And she had a good solid win over the very talented (albeit underachieving) Tamira Paszek. Here's hoping she keeps on keeping on!

Anna Chakvetadze also had a very convincing win over Sara Errani, who was seeded #4. Chakvetadze is a headcase on an Ivanovician (though not quite a Vaidisovan) level. I'm not going to be all 'comeback' or anything, but I guess it's a reminder that headcases stay in the game by pure talent, and sometimes this can happen. There you go.

And another new favourite of mine, Anastasija Sevastova, had a win in Bad Gastein over promising youngster Simona Halep. I really want to see her play Anastasia Pivovarova, who is also still in the draw over there. Can't imagine how the commentators would handle that one...

No comments: