Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Greatest Ever

It's official. I don't think there is any room for argument on this one.

Dustin Brown is the Greatest of All Time when it comes to hair in tennis.

Seriously, that dude has AWESOME HAIR.

He beat Sam Querrey in Newport today, which raised a couple of questions - 1) Who is this Dustin Brown fellow anyway and 2) What the hell is Sam Querrey doing playing in Newport?

I'm all for more grasscourt tennis, but dude, Wimbledon is over. If you're trying to set yourself up as some kind of uber tennis player, you need to learn the rules - don't play on a surface when there's no point in playing on this surface. And if you do, don't go losing to Dustin Brown - even if his hair is awesome.

This is the grass version of those clay tournaments that exist for no reason. I suppose they can't exactly whack it in the existing grass season due to the fact that no one in their right mind is going to go from Paris to Newport to London, but it just seems like a pretty pointless tournament.

And now I don't care about it at all because my man Nico Mahut is out. But what I do care about is Dustin Brown's hair. Which is rad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree about Brown's hair. I became an instant fan!

But I have to disagree about Newport being pointless. I love a tournament that looks so intimate, with its courts so close to each other... It's almost a demand for nostalgia.

I remember, a few years ago, seeing Santoro win there, playing his wonderfully unique kind of tennis. He was so happy, with his eyes almost closed. And when he was asked how he felt after his win, he just opened his eyes ever so slightly and with a big smile answered: "Young."

I feel that that couldn't have happened at any other tournament. I'll always remember Santoro like that!