Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Clinging to the Bandwagon

Haha! I knew I wasn't feeling Nando Verdasco for a reason. First round loss in Memphis to Jeremy Chardy - what up? I mean, I know Chardy is a serious talent, but Nando is top ten, or practically top ten, and he won a tournament last week. He shouldn't be losing the next week first round, no matter how tired he is. So yeah, you've got a ways to go to become Nadal-challenger of '09 Nando again.

There were a few interesting results in Memphis, actually - not least of which was Ernests Gulbis actually scoring a win. Like, a whole one.

Yes, I know it's not fashionable to be on the Gulbis bandwagon any more, but I just can't quit this kid from Latvia has got something. I still believe that he can be top ten, once that certain something clicks - whatever that certain something might be. I'm not quite sure. But once that switch goes, I reckon he can still be great. Even if he is moving into late bloomer territory.

It was Robbie Kendrick who he beat, who is probably best known for nearly beating Rafa at Wimbledon one time (Gulbis nearly did the same thing one time. There you go.) Kendrick isn't exactly Mr Tennis, but this is still a pretty solid win. But damn it, Ernie - go deep. Please.

I also thought Evgeny Korolev had a great result, overcoming Philipp Kohlschreiber in straights. I like Korolev's heavy metal style of tennis - he's got some big shots but he's got some mad skillz also, which is also a fun combo. I'll be interested to see how he follows up this win.

Oh! Oh! And David Nalbandian came back on the clay in Buenos Aires! And he had a win over Potito Starace. Touch wood... but... is Bandy back?

No comments: