Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ernie's First Final

This isn't a dream, is it? Because this is certainly crazy. It's surreal. Ernests Gulbis into a final? Surely you jest!

But no, it is true - Ernie played an admirable match today, closing out Jarkko Nieminen in two sets. Sure, Nieminen hasn't been especially impressive of late, but then again, neither has Ernie. As noted yesterday, he made his first semi in 2006, and then didn't make another one till last week. Now here he is the very next week, in the final.

Please, please let this not be a fluke.

I've seen very little of Ernie's actual matches, so I couldn't actually tell you what Ernie's changed. Maybe he hasn't changed a thing. Maybe it's just all clicked for him - because he has immense, immense talent. He was just matching that talent with totally stupid numbers of errors. I can't imagine he's winning any matches with the amount of errors I saw him hit in his match in Australia, so presumably that's where he's tightened up. The click.

The real test will be how he follows this win up. Obviously, it would be totally awesome if he would go on and win this, his very first final - but even if he doesn't, this is still a great result for him. What would suck, however, is if he followed up this fortnight of sweetness with another seventeen-odd first round losses. Two weeks of consistency is sweet, but two weeks is not a season.

So there's not much I can say but keep it up, Ernie. Make me proud. Validate me for spending all this time clinging to your bandwagon. Make me look like a not-moron. I know you can do it!

1 comment:

Overhead Spin said...

Hi Jodi, I know that there is a time difference problem, but if you check the usual places for live feed you will be able to see Ernie play in his first final against Karlovic. I watched some of his match yesterday and there were the usual how did he do that winner, followed up by the equally head scratching how did he make that error. All in all a good couple of weeks for Ernie fans. I have always admired him, but for right now I am standing to the side and watching the bandwagon. Not ready to get my hopes up too much right now. I have my eyes on Grigor, if only he could at least get out of qualies then maybe everyone would know about him.