Saturday, April 4, 2009

Keep Being Roger!

When I wrote about Federer's loss to Djokovic yesterday, I had not yet read about the circumstances and the match itself - I'd only seen the result. A little more reading and a few almost horrifying video clips later, and... I think I have a rant coming on.
*
I hate ranting about Federer. He is, as any reader of this blog would be able to tell, my favourite player by a very long way. I love the artistry of his game, the magic of his shots and his ability to do just about anything on the court - and I love the fact that he is a total gentleman, on and off the court. And I'm sorry, Roger, because I love you, I really do - but that is not the player I saw yesterday.
*
I don't know whether he's trying to channel all of his residual childishness out before fatherhood, but he really did behave like a spoiled brat yesterday. I understand the conditions of the match were frustrating and his career in general over the beginning of 2009 has pretty much been an exercise in frustration, but still, that was not the gentleman champion I saw out there. Now, I'm not saying that this is clearly some eternal change and Federer is lost or anything. I would be the last to gainsay him - he is the repository of more enormous potential than anyone else in the game. But he needs to rediscover the gentleman. Even in pressers, he's been a lot more bitchy than normal - and this is just not what we have seen from him before.
*
So Roger, please. I don't mind if you win or lose. Just keep being Roger. Because this is not quite real.
*
And in another news, Azarenka took out Serena! This girl is on her way to the top - in the fast lane! If only she could fix her personality...
*
*
Today's Results
*
Sony Ericsson Open (Miami)
*
Men's Draw
*
Andy Murray def. Juan Martin del Potro, 6-1 5-7 6-2
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Victoria Azarenka def. Serena Williams, 6-3 6-1

1 comment:

freakyfrites said...

Hi there! I have to say, that as a major Roger fan, the loss really bugged me (and the way Roger checked out during the match - I did watch it and wish I hadn't!) But the actual racquet smashing didn't. It was understandable - seriously he played sooo, soo bad that if Roger hadn't shown any kind of violent emotion, I think it would have been an even worse sign.
Roger was a racquet smasher back in the day, so it's not like he's always been Mr. Calm, Cool and Collected. And while he's a gentleman, he's not perfect, so I think we have to appreciate the human side along with the "mystique."
But I couldn't agree more with your idea that Roger needs to be Roger. He's lost himself out there - his confidence, his desire, and even his forehand. So one less racquet is the least of his worries. . .