Thursday, April 2, 2009

Applauding Azarenka

I wrote the other day about the need in the WTA for someone to step up and knock down a few of these ailing top ten stars. I do take issue with her personality, but you have to applaud Victoria Azarenka for stepping up to the plate. She really has been a star of the WTA this year.
*
Think of how different the Australian Open would have been if Azarenka had not been taken sick in the second set of that match with Serena Williams. If things has unfolded like it was looking like they were going to unfold, then Serena would have been knocked out in that round. I don't think Azarenka would have gone all the way, but the complexion of the whole tournament would have been entirely different. She's impressed on just about every showing this year - with her game, not her personality (I haven't been too impressed with that.) And now she's in the final of Miami, where she'll face a Williams. I wouldn't back her chances against Serena (even with the whole Aussie Open situation) but against Venus... this could be Azarenka's big break.
*
Over to the blokes now, and the Federer/Djokovic semi should be a good one. Djokovic seemed to have pulled himself out of his funk a little in his match against Tsonga - that was a good win for him, considering he's been Jo-Dub's bitch for about a year now. And the Federer/Roddick match was an absolute corker. Late night thriller all the way - as much as one can have one of those when you're playing best of three. Roger really did lose concentration in the second, but I loved the way that he sort of broke just by the power of his will to win the match. Sure, it was a lucky let cord, but the winner after that...
*
And let cords are kind sometimes - clearly the gods were smiling on him.
*
I'm gunning for a Nadal/Murray semi on the other side, and I don't think anyone would doubt that we'll get it. My housemate tells me that apparently the guy on ABC newsradio has said that del Potro will beat Nadal. My laughter echoed off the wall for about ten minutes.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Sony Ericsson Open (Miami)
*
Men's Draw
*
Roger Federer def. Andy Roddick, 6-3 4-6 6-4
Novak Djokovic def. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, 6-3 6-4
*
*
Women's Draw
*

Victoria Azarenka def. Svetlana Kuznetsova, 6-3 2-6 7-5

1 comment:

Marius said...

" My laughter echoed off the wall for about ten minutes"
oh, did it?