Monday, November 3, 2008

Hasta La Vista, Rafa

Although there is no tennis today, there is still big news - bad news, in fact. Rafael Nadal, current #1, has withdrawn from Shanghai. This is what he said in his statement:
*
"I have decided not to compete on the Masters Cup in Shanghai... This is one of the most difficult decisions in my career due to the importance of the event and above all, due to the fact of not making possible my will to be with the fans in China and the tournament organizers that always treated me in such special way.
*
"I am deeply saddened and disappointed for my fans around the world that expected to see me in Shanghai fighting in every match. I do expect to be there again in October '09 for the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event in Shanghai."
*
His reason for withdrawing is that injury he sustained to his right knee in Paris in his match against Davydenko. His playing style is so hard on his knees... it's almost painful to watch sometimes, the way he grinds his body into the court. One day it's just going to give up on him and it's not going to be pretty. So we have seen the last of Rafa for this year... the last time he pulled out of the Masters Cup - in 2005 - he also pulled out of the Australian Open the year after, which was the year Federer beat Baghdatis in the final. Here's hoping, for Rafa's sake, and for the sake of the Australian public, the same thing doesn't happen this time. Much as I always pull for Federer and Nadal is his greatest competitor, I am also a major fan of competition... and I'm going to be at the Australian Open for a week, and I want to see both Roger and Rafa, thank you very much.
*
The major beneficiary of the Nadal withdrawal is Gilles Simon, who has been promoted into the elite eight. I think the fact that he is up so high in the rankings is proof of the fact that it's been a pretty even year this year... he's won three titles (Casablanca, Indianapolis and Bucharest) which is a great season, but he doesn't seem like someone you'd generally find at the elite level. We've had a lot of first time winners this season - and I think that's just swell. Much as I love seeing Federer dominating and winning everything, it's nice to share the love a bit!
*
So now our elite eight are Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Davydenko, Roddick, Tsonga, del Potro and Simon. Still no Ferrer and no Nalbandian. I'm picking a Federer/Murray final, I think... Djokovic has been inconsistent of late, and we all remember how he went 0-3 last year. Tsonga is also a big possibility - he's hot right now! But I'd never, ever rule out the Rog - and never, ever stop pulling for him!
*
*
No results today!

1 comment:

Tennis Talk, Anyone? said...

Hey Jodi, what's up? Yeah, it's definitely a shame Rafa can't make it. I think you're totally on point that one day his body's just gonna give on him, which would be sad to see.

As for Simon, I just don't know: Granted, he did win three titles and had some deep runs in a couple of Masters tournaments, but I agree with you. I just don't think of him as an elite player by any stretch of the imagination.