Friday, November 14, 2008

To Be The Master

I guess it was kind of the fitting ending to the year, really. This is one year where we can safely say that Federer hasn't been the Master on the tour, and thus, I suppose he doesn't really deserve to win the Masters Cup. Still, it didn't stop it being disappointing.
*
The real Master this year has been Rafa Nadal, but he also has no chance of winning this week, what with injury. The four semi-finalists now are Djokovic (spit spit), Davydenko, Murray and Simon. I think out of those four, we can say that Murray probably deserves it most. He is the only person thus far undefeated (it was a tight match against Federer, but the Scot pulled it out) and with his run up the rankings, kind of reminiscent of what Djokovic did last year, he deserves a major title. Next to the Slams, the Masters Cup is probably the biggest title you can win - and I think we can say that of those four players, Murray is the current Master.
*
I confess, I would rather have Murray win his breakout big title at the Masters Cup, rather than at one of the Slams. Last year, Djokovic totally bombed at the Masters Cup, but then won the Aussie Open. I'd rather Murray won his big one here than at the Aussie Open - that one I'm reserving for the Fed. Hopefully, after a long rest and a peaceful summer, he can come back and claim back that title - because it doesn't feel quite right when someone other than him holds that title. Not as wrong as someone else winning Wimbledon, but certainly up there.
*
To sum up, I am disappointed that Roger didn't make it through, but c'est la vie. Let it provide motivation for a bigger, brighter and better year next year. My little brother is sitting next to me as I write this, and he just said, 'I bet Roger will win every single tournament he goes in next year.' I'm with him. 2009 ahoy!
*
*
Today's Results
*
Tennis Masters Cup (Shanghai)
*
Red Group
*
Andy Murray def. Roger Federer, 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 7-5
Gilles Simon def. Radek Stepanek, 6-1 6-4

No comments: