Thursday, November 6, 2008

Where is the Respect?

I don't know what I was expecting from Doha, but it wasn't Dinara Safina going 0-3. Oh well. Here's hoping his sister's poor performance here convinces Marat that yes, he can keep up and he doesn't have to retire, and that Dinara comes back bigger and better next year. I am hanging out for that Hopman Cup. Actually, didn't Marat say he'd give Paul McNamee a decision re Hopman Cup by the first week of November... which is now? I'll just go and check...
*
...okay, so there's nothing that says he's confirmed anything, but they've just released the schedule, and Marat and Dinara (listed by name) are scheduled to play the Italians on Tennis West Family Day (whenever that may be.) So that's a good sign, yeah? I am determined to find a way to attend the Hopman Cup - it is totally my favourite tournament in the whole year. And it's so disappointing that it gets totally shafted. Davis Cup has all this prestige, and Fed Cup has a bit too (though not nearly as much as it should have) but everyone totally forgets about Hopman Cup. It's not even counted as part of the Australian Open series. I mean, I understand why you don't accrue points from playing it, just like you don't accrue points from playing Davis and Fed Cups, but it's so awesome! It's one of the few tournaments where players can play for their country as well as themselves (and isn't that a big thing for a lot of athletes) and the only one where mixed doubles - which is totally fabulous - is as important as singles. It's so rare that men and women get to play together, and it's such a shame. I mean, Marat and Dinara have never, ever, ever, EVER played together before. Can you even begin to imagine how fabulous it's going to be?
*
Maybe Hopman Cup will be Marat's tournament! I know he's won Davis Cup since the slump, but Hopman Cup is a bit different. It's individual as well as a team thing... and it's just so great! Where is the respect? WHERE?
*
Oh yeah. Doha. Which is happening now. Dinara is presumably out after losing to Dementieva, Venus is presumably through after beating Serena (who'd have thought Venus'd go 3-0? ...actually, I guess it's not that surprising) and Serena and Elena will fight it out for the remaining berth in the maroon group. I don't think they've played yet, so that'll be the deciding match. (Or have they played? I can't remember.)
*
In the white group, I'm guessing it's going to be Jelena Jankovic and Vera Zvonareva, because they both have two wins now. And my tip for the eventual winner... hmmm, Jankovic. She really deserves one of the big titles, and if you can't have a Slam, I guess Doha is the one you'd want.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Sony Ericsson Championships 2008 (Doha)
*
White Group
*
Jelena Jankovic def. Svetlana Kuznetsova, 7-6 (8-6) 6-4
*
*
Maroon Group
*
Venus Williams def. Serena Williams, 5-7 6-1 6-0
Elena Dementieva def. Dinara Safina, 6-2 6-4

1 comment:

Zafar said...

Its been topsy turvy in Doha - I didn't expect great quality, but was hoping for a few entertaining encounters. Instead theres been an almost predictable blandness about every match. And thats before the inevitable pullouts.

Maybe the Venus/Jankovic encounter will breathe some life into things.

http://tennisisserved.blogspot.com