Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Invisible Men

Well, here we are again. Another Slam is over, and we've entered the monotony of one of those weeks where no one especially important is playing... when the big story of the day is that Nicolas Almagro and Paul-Henri Mathieu got beaten, you know it's a schlep tournament week. Not that schlep tournaments can't have their moments - every Star of the Future starts off playing them - but they are exceptionally dull after the big excitement of a Slam, especially one won by Federer.
*
And besides, Ernests Gulbis has already lost, so what am I supposed to talk about?
*
But there is one thing that saves us from the boredom, and that is Davis Cup. I've read a lot about the strange selection by the American team, but I'm going to be patriotic for once and talk about the Australian team. I believed I advised them a while ago to play Bernard Tomic, as we're going to lose anyway and it'd be good to blood him on the world stage... and they almost listened. He's part of a six-man squad going to Chile, but he's one of the alternates, along with Brydan Klein. The team proper consists of Chris Guccione, Peter Luczak, Sam Groth and Carsten Ball.
*
Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd never heard of Carsten Ball before the US Open, where he had a wildcard, and I've never heard of Sam Groth. Not to say that they're not good players, but I have absolutely no idea who they are. Where did they pop up from? Obviously I know about Tomic, because he's Australia's best junior, and I've heard of Brydan Klein as well - I think he made the junior final of the Australian Open last year or the year before - but never these other two. And they're the ones on the team proper. Go figure. Not that I'm saying I know better than John Fitzgerald, because I don't. It's just a bit bizarre, I guess... here's me thinking I knew nearly everything there was to know about Australian tennis! Nice to be proved wrong, I guess... nice to think we have more depth than I thought!
*
This is a really young team, which I think is really exciting... and will probably also play to our advantage, because the Chileans probably won't have heard of them either. That said, the Chileans will still eat them alive, especially because they're playing at home on clay, which is definitely not Australia's best surface... but I suppose we did once beat Switzerland on clay at home (Federer wasn't playing, obviously.) Still, Fernando Gonzalez is spearheading their team, and he could probably beat the entire Australian team at once. I suppose Gooch and Mr. Milkshake will be our singles players... though if it gets to dead rubbers, which is highly likely, I'd like to see Fitzy play some young guys.
*
Like I said, the youngness of the team is exciting... but you have to spare a thought for players like Joe Sirianni and Robert Smeets. They must be feeling really snubbed right about now. Poor dudes.
*
*
Today's Results
*
BCR Open Romania (Bucharest)
*
Gilles Simon def. Albert Montanes, 6-3 6-4
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez def. Nicolas Almagro, 6-4 7-5
Carlos Moya def. Pablo Andujar, 6-3 7-6 (8-6)
Florent Serra def. Potito Starace, 7-5 0-6 6-4
Ivan Navarro def. Paul-Henri Mathieu, 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-3
*
*
Commonwealth Bank Tennis Classic (Bali)
*
Daniela Hantuchova def. Olga Savchuk, 6-1 7-5
Patty Schnyder def. Yuan Meng, 6-2 7-5
Francesca Schiavone def. Akgul Amanmuradova, 6-3 6-2
Marta Domachowska def. Jill Craybas, 6-3 6-7 (5-7) 6-4

No comments: