Wednesday, September 3, 2008

'You And Your Mother'

Semi final #1 for the boys has been decided – it’ll be Rafa Nadal taking on Andy Murray, this tournament’s official Random Semi Finalist (tm.) Both had very intriguing quarter final matches, and this match should prove likewise interesting.
*
Even though his match was later, let’s start with Rafa. I think I said yesterday or the day before that Fish might take a set off him, and that was about it. That was exactly what happened. Rafa still isn’t playing at 100% Rafa level, but he’s into the semis now, and that’s all that counts, really. He’s done what he had to – and the fact that he can do that not at his best makes him very ominous indeed. It’d be a foolish person who’d ever count out Rafa Nadal.
*
Kudos to Mardy Fish, though, for pressing Rafa – because he did. Nice work, Mardy. It may not have worked in the long run, but the blazingly fiery glory-or-death game that some play might well be the only way to play Rafa – because you have to try and impose your game. Ain’t nobody can beat Rafa at his own game, and if you try, you’ll fail, because he’s the best at it by a long way, which is why he is #1. To beat Rafa, you have to make him play your game. Fish tried to impose himself and enjoyed some moderate success with that, so kudos to Mardy.
*
But Rafa fried him in the end. Sorry for the pun.
*
Now, over to the del Potro/Murray match. This one was particularly intriguing because of the fact that they pretty much hate each other. This dates back to Rome in May, where del Potro fired a ball straight at Murray’s head, Murray took offence at the changeover and del Potro fired back with the infamous ‘you and your mother’ remark. Murray, naturally, did not take too kindly to this and should they meet each other in a dark alley, I would not like to say what would happen.
*
That said, they behaved pretty much like gentlemen today, and though del Potro is technically one of my Stars of the Future, I think I’m glad Murray won. It’s his turn – and also I think the Andy/Rafa match could be an absolute marathon twelve hour affair. If Rafa was at his best and hadn’t played tennis pretty much every week for six months, I’d go with him no question, but Murray just might have a little bit more left in the tank – and he’s on a hot streak, after Cincinnati (first round loss at the Olympics nonwithstanding.) So that one should be an interesting match and make no mistake. I’m not sure who I’m picking to win, actually. It could go either way. I’m going to go with Murray, purely because Rafa’s tired and has never really gone very well here, but I am quite prepared to be wrong.
*
Over to the ladies, and there was nothing in that Williams sister clash. I suppose it was nice for Serena to get one back after the loss in the Wimbledon final, but I can’t say I really cared much who won. They’re really pretty interchangeable to my mind – and it doesn’t matter, because Dinara is going through to the final anyway. I have spoken and thus shall it be. She pulverised Flavia Pennetta today, and so Serena better watch out. If I was standing on the other side of the net to Dinara Safina right now, I’d be quaking in my boots.
*
*

Today’s Results
*
US Open (Flushing Meadows)
*
Men’s Draw
*
Rafael Nadal def. Mardy Fish, 3-6 6-1 6-4 6-2
Andy Murray def. Juan Martin del Potro, 7-6 (7-2) 7-6 (7-1) 4-6 7-5
*
*

Women’s Draw
*
Dinara Safina def. Flavia Pennetta,6-2 6-3
Serena Williams def. Venus Williams, 7-6 (8-6) 7-6 (9-7)

No comments: