Saturday, September 20, 2008

Miracle Territory

We have a point! A whole one! I don't know if I've ever been so pleased by an Australian tennis result in my life. Trust me to only get behind my country when we have absolutely no chance of winning. But still! a point! A whole, entire point! Yay! Good work, Guccione and Ball!
*
That said, we are still going to lose - I can envision no universe in which Gonzalez loses to Guccione. But Luczak has the capability of beating Massu if he plays well, and 3-2 ain't nothing to be ashamed of. Hell, we avoided being whitewashed 5-0 - there should be dancing in the streets anyway!
*
Tennis Australia described the win as 'miraculous' and I do not disagree. We will need a miracle to win this tie - and I don't think it'll be delivered. Nonetheless, we took our first baby steps into miracle territory. Even though we're not very good, I find this Davis Cup team so exciting. Give it a few years, and we are going to rock the tennis house.
*
Surprisingly few teams closed out their ties today - Switzerland and Serbia were the only ones. If Federer and Wawrinka commit to playing a full year of Davis Cup next year, I don't know who would gainsay their chances - Spain, maybe, if they played Nadal and Ferrer and it was on clay, would start favourites against them, but I can't think of anyone else.
*
Meanwhile, Britain is in big trouble... it'll be sad if they don't claw back into the World Group, because they probably deserve it more than Austria, in that they have a top singles player and a top doubles player. Nonetheless, if they don't win, then they don't deserve to be there. Snaps to Austria.
*
Meanwhile, what a match that was in the Argentina/Russia tie! I'm glad Russia won it and kept the tie alive, because it is such an intriguing match up! It'll be really interesting to see which way it goes tomorrow, especially in the Davydenko/Nalbandian match. Del Potro will probably close it out for Argentina, I would imagine, but anything can happen with those crazy Russians. And speaking of crazy, I was obviously a little insane to doubt the ability of Mike Bryan to pair with someone else, as he and Mardy Fish managed quite nicely in their win. Somehow I don't see Andy Roddick beating Rafa Nadal tomorrow, but, like the Aussies, at least they managed to get a point.
*
And well done to my girl Dinara Safina, who is in yet another Tier I final! She plays Svetlana Kuznetsova for the Tokyo crown, and somehow I'm feeling Dinara on this one... I wonder why.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Davis Cup Semi Finals
*
Argentina 2, Russia 1
Kunitsyn/Tursunov def. Canas/Nalbandian, 6-2 6-1 6-7 (9-11) 3-6 8-6
*
*
Spain 2, USA 1
Bryan/Fish def. Lopez/Verdasco, 4-6 6-4 6-3 4-6 6-4
*
*
Davis Cup Playoffs
*
Chile 2, Australia 1
Ball/Guccione def. Gonzalez/Massu, 6-7 (5-7) 7-6 (10-8) 6-3 5-7 7-5
*
*
Austria 2, Great Britain 1
Knowle/Melzer def. Murray/Hutchins, 6-4 6-3 6-1
*
*
Switzerland 3, Belgium 0
Federer/Wawrinka def. Malisse/Rochus, 4-6 7-6 (8-6) 6-3 6-3
*
*
Croatia 2, Brazil 1
Melo/Sa def. Karlovic/Zovko, 6-7 (3-7) 6-2 7-5 6-7 (5-7) 6-3
*
*
Israel 2, Peru 1
Levy/Ram def. Echazu/Silva, 6-1 6-1 6-2
*
*
Netherlands 2, Korean Republic 1
Huta Galung/Wessels def. Jun/Lee, 4-6 6-4 6-4 6-3
*
*
Romania 2, India 1
Bhupathi/Paes def. Cruciat/Tecau, 6-4 7-6 (7-0_ 6-4
*
*
Serbia 3, Slovak Republic 0
Troicki/Zimonjic def. Mertinak/Polasek, 7-6 (10-8) 6-4 6-7 (7-9) 7-6 (7-5)
*
*
Toray Pan Pacific Open (Tokyo)
*
Dinara Safina def. Nadia Petrova, 6-1 6-0
Svetlana Kuznetsova def. Katarina Srebotnik, 7-6 (7-5) 6-2
*
*
TOE Life Ceramics Guangzhou International Women's Open (Guangzhou)
*
Vera Zvonareva def. Zheng Jie, 6-3 7-5
Peng Shuai def. Camille Pin, 6-2 6-1

No comments: