Thursday, March 11, 2010

Showdown - Show Up, Throw Down

So the first round of Indian Wells has started for the ladies - aka the unseeded showdown to the death. Surprise, surprise, Justine Henin showed up for the showdown and threw down good, making very, very quick work of Magdalena Rybarikova. And no matter what happens after this tournament, JuJu should have, like, a ranking. That will be sweet.

...but if I were seeded and in that quarter, I would be quaking in my high-ranked boots.

There were quite a few people who showed up and threw down at this no-seed showdown, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that one of them was Alicia Molik. I haven't been too impressed with the Molik comeback - as far as comebacks go, the bar has been set pretty high, and she's limboed under it without even trying thus far. But she was totally fierce in her win over Tatjana Malek - one and three - and I've been force to reevaluate my assessment. Looks like there's some life in Alicia yet - so keep proving me wrong, Alicia, and win some more stuff!

Someone who got shown up and thrown down, however, was fellow Aussie Jelena Dokic, who got totally pummelled by Vera Dushevina. I never know what to prescribe for poor Jelena except bed rest - she always looks so completely exhausted. But not to worry, Jelena. I still like you.

Oh yeah, and there were those Laureus Awards. And stuff. Hurrah for Serena and Kim, winning their awards - but I think we can all agree that R-Fed got ripped off. Hello, he became the greatest player in the history of his sport last year. Can anyone top that? I THINK NOT.

No comments: