Friday, March 19, 2010

'Slumpy'

Today's disappointment for me was obviously Sam Stosur going out to Jelena Jankovic, but getting to the semis here is still a totally massive result for her. Here's hoping she can build on this and bring a similarly solid result in Miami. And I do believe this propels her into the top ten - onya, Sam!

(And also, this is best I've seen out of Jankovic in a long time. Good to know that one of the Serbian kids is doing okay for themselves).

But what I really want to talk about is the Murray result - i.e. him losing to Robin Soderling, who seems to be a little bit of a giant killer. Soderling playing on a bad day is a horrific thing to watch but the Yoker on fire is supreme, and that seems to be what's happened to Murray here. I'm inclined to lay all the 'blame' for this result at Robin's door.

However.

How long it is before people start talking about Murray's 'slump'?

I would like to say that I do not think he's in a slump. Not at all. However, you know those crazy media kids. If Murray doesn't bring it in Miami, where I'm pretty sure he did rad last year, then tongues are going to start wagging. And let's face it, Andy is not, at this stage of his career, a claycourter. This means that his results during the clay season are probably not going to be spectacular. How long before this translates to 'slump'?

We've seen it with Roger, we've seen it with Rafa, we've seen it (with, I would argue, some justification) with Novak. It's Andy turn to assume the mantle of Slumpy, and I'm going to be very curious to see how the media spins this if he doesn't pull an epic result in Miami, even though this result in and of itself is not dreadful by any means...

No comments: