Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rafa's Time

I would be lying if I pretended I wasn't bitterly disappointed. I don't know what happened, or why it happened, but it did. The only time I ever remember Federer looking like losing to Blake was in the final of Indian Wells two years back, when he went down a double break in the first set. But even then, he got it back. He won the set. This match was gone before it even began.
*
Looking at the score, it's clear that it was close. One break of serve in the first set, a breaker in the second. But that means nothing, really. Best of three tennis is so cutthroat. I don't know if Federer would have won it were best of five, but that kind of tennis certainly suits him better. But this...
*
I have to congratulate James Blake, because he played an excellent match. I mean, I didn't see it, but even a sluggish Federer is still Federer, and you have to play great tennis to beat him. In a way, Federer can be like Nalbandian, but the Roger equivalent to LameDave is still one of the world's best tennis players. Sigh. I am so disappointed.
*
But there's still doubles. I would have preferred Federer to get a medal in the singles, obviously, but doubles would be sweet too! And if he doesn't win a medal, that's cool too. It's Roger the man I admire, and Roger the tennis player is only a part of that. And no matter what he's ranked or what he wins, nothing can take that away. Tennis-wise, he needs to steady the ship and take a deep breath. As a person, there's not much he needs to fix.
*
But even I can't deny that this is Rafa's time now. I don't how long Rafa's time will last - I'm still very confident that there will be a Second Golden Age of Federer - but he deserves to be #1 right now. He has been second banana to Roger for so long now. It is his turn to shine. (Not that he hasn't already been shining, but comparatively...) I'd like him to win the gold medal now. He deserves it. And I really don't want Djokovic to win it.
*
That's my new podium. Rafa for gold. Gonzalez for silver. Djokovic for bronze. I'd like Blake to win bronze, but I think Djokovic might edge him. The Olympic tennis has lost its shine for me, I must admit, but I am a tennis fan as well as - in fact, before - I am a Federer fan. He is one man, and he is brilliant, but he once said, 'you never be bigger than the game, and I think you need to remember that.' Perhaps I need to remember that. Players come and go. Tennis is constant. The sport ain't going anywhere. And Rafa is very good for the sport. So vamos, Rafa. Vamos.
*
Meanwhile, some huge upsets in the women! Both Williamses gone! Who would have picked that? Certainly not me. It looks like we might be having the Russian national championships again, providing Safina beats Jankovic, which I'm pretty sure she'll do. Along with Zvonareva, Dementieva and Li... well, suffice to say that's not exactly the semis anyone expected! But I like it. That's one thing that's good about women's tennis... because I'm not so emotionally involved, I can appreciate a good upset and go for the underdog and stuff if I'm so inclined. There is much more of a place for whimsy. Go Dinara!
*
Oh, and go Team Fedrinka! Singles may have been a bust, for doubles gold is just as good!
*
*
Today's Results
*
Games of the XXIX Olympiad (Beijing)
*
Men's Draw - Singles
*
James Blake def. Roger Federer, 6-4 7-6 (7-2)
Rafael Nadal def. Jurgen Melzer, 6-0 6-4
Novak Djokovic def. Gael Monfils, 4-6 6-1 6-4
Fernando Gonzalez def. Paul-Henri Mathieu, 6-4 6-4
*
*
Women's Draw - Singles
*
Elena Dementieva def. Serena Williams, 3-6 6-4 6-3
Li Na def. Venus Williams, 7-5 7-5
Vera Zvonareva def. Sybille Bammer, 6-3 3-6 6-3
*
*
Men's Draw - Doubles
*
Bryan/Bryan def. Guccione/Hewitt, 6-4 6-3
Aspelin/Johansson def. Fyrstenberg/Matkowski, 7-6 (7-5) 6-4
Clement/Llodra def. Andreev/Davydenko, 6-2 6-7 (4-7) 64
*
*
Women's Draw - Doubles
*
Medina Garrigues/Ruano Pascual def. Stosur/Stubbs, 4-6 6-4 6-4
*
*
Legg Mason Tennis Classic (Washington)
*
Viktor Troicki def. Bobby Reynolds, 6-4 1-6 6-4
Juan Martin del Potro def. Dudi Sela, 6-0 5-7 6-2
Andy Roddick def. Eduardo Schwank, 4-6 6-4 7-6 (7-2)
*
*
Western and Southern Financial Group Women's Open (Cincinatti)
*
Aleksandra Wozniak def. Julia Vakulenko, 6-2 6-3

No comments: