Sunday, August 3, 2008

Truth, Justice & A Really Big Trophy

I never thought I'd be glad to see Andy Murray win anything, but I was very glad to see him win the title at Cincinatti. Pretty much the only person I dislike more than him is Novak Djokovic, and guess who he was playing...? To be fair, though, Andy isn't as rubbish as he used to be - personality wise, I mean. He was never a rubbish tennis player! But he used to be an arrogant little bastard. He still is, but less so. I hope he continues improving.
*
Actually, does this mean he's leading the US Open series now? It'd either be him or Rafa - I think they both made a semi and won a title. Maybe they're even. If it is Murray, who would have picked that? Maybe he's going to be one to watch out for at the US Open - and is he playing at the Olympics? Though I don't know if playing a full week of tennis in Cincinatti is really conducive to excellent Olympic performance - in which case I totally revise my position. This was the ideal final. Clearly.
*
Ahem.
*
Meanwhile, men's tennis may be a little black for me at the moment, but how 'bout that Dinara Safina? This is her second Tier I tournament victory this year, and that is really something else - her second tournament on the trot as well, after she won the Tier II in LA last week. She is really taking care of business like a real pro. She is looking so dangerous - and surely she must be close to qualifying for Doha? Actually, let me check... she's in sixth spot, but I don't know if it's been updated to take into account this victory yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would be her first year-ending championships... wouldn't it be great if she won it?
*
Ivanovic and Jankovic are the only players to have qualified at this point - hey, I wonder if that means that Sharapova won't qualify? That injury means that she's out for the Olympics and the US Open. If she doesn't play for that long... she might not make the cut. Depends how well everyone else plays, I guess. There are some girls just outside the top eight who would love a spot... Agnieszka Radwanska, for example. Though I am not impressed with A-Rad at the moment, what with playing that Tier IV instead of the Tier I. And she didn't even win. Why would you do that? What is the rationale there?
*
Oh, I don't know. And can I just say I really like the campaign the WTA has to promote Doha? 'They're fighting for truth, justice and a really big trophy.' I'm not sure why, but it just really appeals to me.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Western and Southern Financial Group Masters (Cincinatti)
*
Andy Murray def. Novak Djokovic, 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-5)
*
*
Rogers Cup (Montreal)
*
Dinara Safina def. Dominika Cibulkova, 6-2 6-1
*
*
Nordea Nordic Light Open (Stockholm)
*
Caroline Wozniacki def. Vera Dushevina, 6-0 6-2
Caroline Wozniacki def. Agnieszka Radwanska, 6-4 6-1
Vera Dushevina def. Katarina Srebotnik, 6-1 6-2

2 comments:

Tennis Talk, Anyone? said...

Hey Jodi. I think Murray's really going to be one to watch over the next few weeks. It's pretty much him, Nadal, Federer and your least favorite, Djokovic, that I would consider Olympics and Open contenders.

Yeah, I can't believe how well Dinara's doing! How do you think she'll make out in the big ones coming up?--Van

Jodi said...

For me, Dinara is the favourite to take out the US Open at the moment. She's really the only person playing with true consistency at the moment. And she's what, 27-3 since Berlin? That is not bad at all. I'll be cheering for her all the way.

I never really accord Murray a lot of thought... mostly because I don't like him very much... but you're right. He is a contender. He really was due to win a Masters Series title, and it'll be interesting to see how he backs it up.