Friday, August 8, 2008

The Second Golden Age

So how 'bout that Opening Ceremony? Nice to see some familiar tennis faces out and about... not that the Australian media recognised many of them, but to be fair, there were a whole lot of other sports represented too. Much as I would like it to, the Olympics do not revolve around tennis.
*
We had two tennis flag bearers, which I suppose isn't a bad representation for the sport... though I thought Rafa got gypped. But Spain is a big place with many different sports, I suppose. I can't remember who carried their flag, but if I were Carlos Sastre, I'd be feeling gypped too. Actually, I was very surprised that we didn't have a tennis flag-bearer from Serbia - but how would you pick between the three of them? There's Djokovic, who (even though I don't like him) has won the Australian and done exceedingly well considering the depth of men's tennis, Ivanovic, who is #1 and won the French, and Jankovic, who'll become #1 next week. Not a lot to split them on, especially the girls.
*
But there were two with the flag, in Roger Federer (happy birthday!) and Fernando Gonzalez. It'll be interesting to see how Chile does in the tennis this year, actually, after that stellar performance in Athens, where Massu won gold, Gonzalez won bronze and then they won gold in the doubles. I doubt, somehow, that they can match it, but there'll certainly be some motivation there. Because, you know, the rest of the Olympic teams will obviously be totally unmotivated.
*
And we all know where I think (and hope) the gold medal will go. The birthday boy, Mr. Switzerland, Roger Federer. This must be such a bittersweet experience for him, what with the #1 slipping from his grasp. But he said something once which has always resonated with me, and I hope it's true: 'Under pressure I see things very clearly.' He can do this. He can do anything. He just needs to see clearly, to have the right mindset. And I have a good feeling about this, birthday boy. This is the end of the first Golden Age of Roger Federer, but it might well be the beginning of the second.
*
Oh, and away from Beijing, Safin lost. Watch me proceed to totally ignore the LA tournament from here on in.
*
*

Today's Results
*
Countrywide Classic (Los Angeles)
*
Denis Gremelmayr def. Marat Safin, 3-6 6-3 6-2
Mardy Fish def. Florent Serra, 6-4 6-4
Juan Martin del Potro def. Amer Delic, 7-6 (8-6) 6-2
Andy Roddick def. Marc Gicquel, 6-3 6-1

No comments: