Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Murray Monster

...what is it with Andy Murray?
*
Specifically, what is it with Andy Murray and Roger Federer? If it's not a final, then you can pretty much bet the Fed's going down, especially in a best-of-three match. You've got to like Federer over five, but over three, considering the Fed/Muzza record stands the way it does, you've got to pick the Scottish boy.
*
Once again, Murray has triumphed over Federer in a best-of-three semi-final. I have lost count of how many semis Murray has beaten Federer in. Always semis. And the thing is, Murray is good, yeah - but I don't understand why Federer can't seem to lift in these semis. He seems to be able to do it in finals, just not here (not even for the kid.) And I just don't understand why.
*
Murray is an excellent player. Ain't denying that. But when it comes down to it, he's a glorified Lleyton Hewitt. And Roger Federer is the greatest player ever. So what's with it?
*
I suppose that if you look at the Hewitt/Federer head to head, it's pretty clear to see that Hewitt dominated the early part of their career - I think Federer won something like one out of ten. And then the tables turned and Federer got the measure of the man. I keep waiting for something like this to happen with Murray - and even Rafa - but it just hasn't yet. Hmmm.
*
Federer's capable of beating anyone. His tennis is the best tennis in the world, the best tennis ever. He just has to bring it, I guess. And if nothing else, I suppose this will give him a little more rest for Miami...
*
And the Nadal/Murray final is going to be an interesting one for sure. After the final of Abu Dhabi, where they slugged out for a good few hours, it'll be very interesting to see who comes out on top. I wouldn't bet against Rafa... but Andy's proven he's capable of beating just about anyone. In a way, I'd like him to win, because he really deserves the #3 ranking more than Novak Djokovic right now.
*
And looks like I might be right about Ana Ivanovic... she is in the final against Vera Zvonareva, whom she is certainly capable of beating. Wee Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova's run ended in the semis - but she'll be one to look at in the future!
*
*
Today's Results
*
BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells)
*
Men's Draw
*
Rafael Nadal def. Andy Roddick, 6-4 7-6 (7-4)
Andy Murray def. Roger Federer, 6-3 4-6 6-1
*
*
PS. I've actually written something vaguely tennis related on my other blog, The Black Valentine's Day Manifesto, if you'd like to read it - the address is http://blackvalentinemanifesto.wordpress.com

1 comment:

Tennis Talk, Anyone? said...

Hey Jodi, what's up? I'm trying to figure out what's going on with Federer and Murray myself! I think the Hewitt comparison is a good one because it looks like he's just moving around the court better than anyone right now and Fed can't break him down.