Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Goodnight Mr Tom?

The women's draw has been absolutely decimated - Safina and Ivanovic are the only two really big names left standing, and we all know what they can be like - but the men's draw is surprisingly intact. I'm certainly not surprised to see Federer and Nadal come this far - who would be? - but with Novak Djokovic's recent performances and Andy Murray's health issues, I'd sort of expected to see at least one of them go. But it's kind of nice that they're still here - could make for some interesting semi-finals!
*
That said, both are facing dangerous opponents in the fourth round - Andy Murray especially, who's facing the greatly in-form Tommy Robredo. That's going to be an interesting match. And Djokovic is going to have a good match against Wawrinka, I'd warrant... depending on whether or not Wawrinka has any fatigue issues from his match yesterday. He shouldn't, I think - it was a three set nailbiter, but I'm sure he'll be fine. He showed nerves of steel in his win over Querrey yesterday - saving two match points. Nice one, Stan.
*
In other Big Four matches, Federer faces Gonzalez and Nadal faces Nalbandian. Roger should be fine, I think - Gonzo has beaten him before, sure, but he's not exactly in scintillating form right now and Roger's serving well, which is good (though they're a set all at the moment - eep!)... but Nadal/Nalbandian will be very interesting! Longtime readers of this blog will remember that I've been gagging for this match for a long time. As far as I'm aware, Rafa's never beaten Headbandian... and so... yes, intriguing. You wouldn't bet against Rafa in his current scary form, and if Nalbandian brings LameDave to the party, then goodnight Mr Tom, but this one could be... yes, interesting.
*
Dinara Safina is still in place in the women's draw (though her brother took a loss to John Isner I can only describe as 'stupid') but my pick - and I say this with great hesitation - is Ana Ivanovic. I'm not saying this is the start of anything for her, but... I think she has a shot.
*
Though I'm obviously fully prepared to be wrong, wrong, wrong.
*
*
Today's Results
*
BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells)
*
Men's Draw
*
Rafael Nadal def. Dmitry Tursunov, 6-3 6-3
Novak Djokovic def. Tommy Haas, 6-2 7-6 (7-1)
Juan Martin Del Potro def. Jurgen Melzer, 6-2 2-6 7-6 (7-2)
Andy Roddick def. Nicolas Kiefer, 6-4 7-6 (7-4)
David Ferrer def. Jeremy Chardy, 3-6 6-4 6-4
David Nalbandian def. Viktor Troicki, 6-4 6-2
Stanislas Wawrinka def. Sam Querrey, 2-6 7-5 7-6 (10-8)
John Isner def. Marat Safin, 6-4 6-4
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Vera Zvonareva def. Caroline Wozniacki, 6-4 6-2

No comments: