Monday, June 16, 2008

Baby Fed

I don't get it. If you're a tennis player, and you're playing Wimbledon next week, and you want to play a tournament this week... why would you go all the way to the Netherlands when you can play in Nottingham?
*
I mean, I guess it would be a bit unfair to all the people in s'Hertogenbosch if no one went there and everyone went to Nottingham instead. It just seems like an odd decision. But I guess it's not that far... if Rafa can go home to Mallorca to play golf when he was already right in England, then going to the Netherlands is nothing. Being Australian, I guess I forget about how small Europe is.
*
And maybe it's to do with the type of grass or something... like the way Halle is played on the same type of grass as Wimbledon but Queen's on a different type.
*
Okay, so I have very, very little to write about today.
*
So I'm going to write a tiny bit about Richard Gasquet. He is playing in s'Hertogenbosch, so it's totally relevant and everything! Actually, he was what got me musing about playing in s'Hertogenbosch versus Nottingham... he won Nottingham once (or was it twice?) but he's playing s'Hertogenbosch... I wonder why? At least it's not like last week with Warsaw and the clay... and I'm rambling again.
*
So. Richou. I like his grass court game a lot. Actually, I like his game a lot, and he had a good win over Rochus (who, we must remember, once had six match points against Federer at Halle, so he's no slouch on grass.) He's just so intensely disappointing, because he could be so much better if he'd just get his head in the game.
*
I don't think there's any doubt that Federer is the most talented player on the circuit, but Richou has got insane amounts of talent too. He needs an epiphany, like Federer had against Squillari back in the day. If he could just sort out his brain, he could be amazing. If he actualised his potential... if he just could... Richou is, when it comes down to it, more talented than Djokovic. But Djokovic has realised his potential, whereas Richou hasn't. I mean, sure, Richou has a few titles and that semi final at Wimbledon last year, but if he lived up to what he was capable of, he could bump off Djokovic easy. He could be challenging Rafa. But he just isn't all there in the head.
*
The thing I like about Richou's game is that there is so much of it - game, I mean. He used to be called 'Baby Fed' and I can see why - he has an allcourt game that is not dissimilar to that of the Master. It's just inconsistent. I heard a piece on Radio Roland Garros with Roger Rasheed, who said that he'd like to coach Gasquet and shake him up a bit. I don't know if Rasheed is the right man for the job - we all know what I think of his commentary skills! - but Richou could use a good shake up. In my opinion.
*
Richou withdrew from the French Open citing injury. This is totally uneducated, but I think it was mostly in his head. If he does the same thing at Wimbledon - I don't think he will, but if he did - I'd never forgive him. I'd really like to see him defend his semi-final points - and he is totally capable of doing it. If only he can keep his head in the game.
*
Sorry about that mostly incoherent ramble... not my best ever entry! But I really would like to see Richou make his breakthrough. Not at the expense of Federer, of course, but if he's on the other side of the draw, I'd totally love him to make the final!
*
Speaking of players I like, Carlos Moya is out of Wimbledon, which saddens me. I like Carlos a lot... though if there was one Grand Slam he's not going to do as well at, it's probably Wimbledon... he's not exactly the king of grass. So get well soon, Carlos, and see you on the hard courts!
*
And Dinara Safina - who is definitely still in Wimbledon - won her match in s'Hertogenbosch today. Davai Dinara!
*
*
Today's Results
*
Ordina Open (s'Hertogenbosch)
*
Juan Martin del Potro def. Fabrice Santoro, 6-3 6-1
Guillermo Canas def. Mischa Zverev, 5-7 6-3 6-3
Massimo Dell'acqua def. Fabio Fognini, 7-6 (7-4) 6-2
Arnaud Clement def. Benjamin Becker, 6-3 3-6 6-4
Marcel Granollers def. Kristof Vliegen, 6-0 1-0 retired
Rohan Bopanna def. Martin Verkerk, 6-7 (8-10) 7-6 (7-2) 6-4
Viktor Troicki def. Denis Gremelmayr, 6-3 7-5
Ivan Ljubicic def. Robin Haase, 6-3 7-6 (7-5)
Marc Gicquel def. Matwe Middelkoop, 6-4 6-1
Richard Gasquet def. Olivier Rochus, 6-2 7-6 (7-3)
*
Sara Errani def. Anne Keothavong, 7-6 (7-5) 6-2
Dinara Safina def. Pauline Parmentier, 6-4 6-1
Sania Mirza def. Flavia Pennetta, 6-4 6-3
Michaella Krajicek def. Ai Sugiyama, 6-1 5-7 7-6 (9-7)
Marina Erakovic def. Alexis Gordon, 6-1 6-1
Angelique Kerber def. Klara Zakopalova, 6-4 3-6 6-4
*
*
Slazenger Open (Nottingham)
*
Julien Benneteau def. Simone Bolelli, 6-1 6-4
Ivo Karlovic def. Jonas Bjorkman, 6-3 6-4
Sam Querrey def. Alejandro Falla, 6-3 6-4
Bobby Reynolds def. Nicolas Mahut, 7-5 4-6 6-4
Dmitry Tursunov def. Yen-hsun Lu, 7-5 6-4
Marin Cilic def. Paul-Henri Mathieu, 1-6 6-4 6-3
*
*
International Women's Open (Eastbourne)
*
Samantha Stosur def. Katie O'Brien, 6-4 6-3
Amelie Mauresmo def. Alize Cornet, 6-1 4-6 7-5
Li Na def. Casey Dellacqua, 6-2 6-4
Nadia Petrova def. Shahar Peer, 6-2 6-2
Gisela Dulko def. Tathiana Garbin, 3-6 6-4 6-2
Aravane Rezai def. Victoria Azarenka, 6-2 retired

No comments: