Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, Miss Dinara Safina

How 'bout that Dinara Safina, eh? This has been SUCH a career year for her. If anyone is the #1 slayer this year, it is her. Who was it that defeated Justine Henin in her last ever match? They would be Dinara. Who slew Maria Sharapova, the new #1, in an epic fourth round match at Roland Garros to take that ranking away? D-Saf again. And now, who has ruined Jelena Jankovic's chances of becoming #1 this week? Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Miss Dinara Safina.
*
Dinara is still a long way off becoming #1 herself - about 1600 points, in fact - but she is doing all the right things right now. She is gaining that thing which has been so elusive for her elder brother Marat - consistency. How many finals have we seen Dinara in this year? It's been quite a few. I don't follow women's tennis all that much, but even I've noticed that it's been a few.
*
Winning that Tier I tournament in Berlin just before the French Open was a real turning point for Dinara, I think. She has never really looked back. That narrow defeat in the third round of Wimbledon could have destroyed her confidence, but clearly she hasn't let it. She has just beat Jelena Jankovic - and that is not easy to do, especially considering Jelena is so close to being #1 she can practically smell it. Who would have picked Dinara Safina to make the French Open final? Not me, certainly - but I am so glad she did! She is my favourite women's player right now.
*
In fact, I'm going to make a bold, sweeping statement. The winners of the US Open this year will be Roger Federer and Dinara Safina. I have spoken. So shall it be.
*
Over in Toronto, we have a Nadal/Kiefer final. I don't know if anyone picked that final. Nadal, maybe, but not Kiwi. I'm not a huge Kiwi fan, but this has got to be so good for him - and he really has showed some grit in coming back from that debilitating injury. And even though I do like the Raf, I think I'm going to be cheering for Kiwi. Because I don't want Rafa gaining any more nasty rankings points, even if he does deserve them. Because my heart belongs to Roger.
*
Even still... better Rafa than Novak! I would like to point out that Roger is not the only one losing points this week - Novak will lose a hefty swag as well. Add that to the hefty swag he lost at Wimbledon, and... it might just be all about the Big Two again. This Big Three thing might have been a bit of a flash in the pan. Djokovic is still miles ahead of Davydenko and Ferrer, but the gap is narrowing, just a bit. And I like that. Djokovic is the anti-Federer, in my books... what is bad for Roger will always be good for Novak, in my books! If Roger had to drop points this week, I am very glad he wasn't alone.
*
Yes, I am a horrible person, wishing ill on a tennis player I've never even met. At least I know it.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Rogers Masters (Toronto)
*
Rafael Nadal def. Andy Murray, 7-6 (7-2) 6-3
Nicolas Kiefer def. Gilles Simon, 6-7 (4-7) 6-3 7-6 (7-5)
*
*
East West Bank Classic (Los Angeles)
*
Dinara Safina def. Jelena Jankovic, 7-6 (7-3) 6-1
Flavia Pennetta def. Bethanie Mattek, 3-6 6-2 7-5
*
*
Banka Koper Slovenia Open (Portoroz)
*
Sara Errani def. Caroline Wozniacki, 6-4 6-4
Anabel Medina Garrigues def. Julia Goerges, 6-3 2-6 6-4

No comments: