Thursday, July 24, 2008

Think of the Olympics

I don't want to talk about the Federer loss. I don't even want to think about it. So well done, Gilles Simon. I hate you a lot right now, but well done. And now Roger's out of the doubles too. Oh well... All the more time to prepare for Cincy and the Olympics, I suppose. Sigh.
*
And Marat's out too, and Dmitry. And Stan. All my boys are gone. Not a good week for me... my bracket bites now. I'm going for whoever beats Djokovic. Oh, and also praying Rafa doesn't win the tournament. I'm carefully ignoring anything to do with points and the race for #1, but I know that this isn't really very good.
*
Actually, I'm going for Cilic. He's done me proud this tournament, upsetting Roddick like that. He's a good kid. Star of the Future, I say! Star of the Future! I've always been harping on and on about Gulbis as the biggest possible Star of the Future, but I am liking Marin Cilic more and more. I want him to win the tournament. Wouldn't that be something else! Actually, Djokovic and Nadal are in the same half, so with Federer out - sob - we're going to have at least one random finalist. How about Cilic, eh? He faces Simon in the next round - that bastard - and I will be cheering for Marin all the way. If I can't have a Federer victory, I'll settle for a new guy breaking through.
*
Sigh. Stupid tennis. Stupid Simon. I'm just going to think of the Olympics and how fresh Roger will be. Think of the Olympics. Oh yeah.
*
Given as I refuse to write about Federer as I'll upset myself, I don't actually have a whole lot to say today. Go Marin. Go you good thing.
*
*
Today's Reuslts
*
Rogers Masters (Toronto)
*
Gilles Simon def. Roger Federer, 2-6 7-5 6-4
Jose Acasuso def. Fernando Gonzalez, 6-3 3-6 6-3
Nikolay Davydenko def. Tommy Haas, 6-3 7-6 (8-6)
Nicolas Kiefer def. Mikhail Youzhny, 7-6 (7-4) 7-5
James Blake def. Jonas Bjorkman, 1-6 6-1 6-2
Stanislas Wawrinka def. Marat Safin, 6-3 6-4
Rafael Nadal def. Igor Andreev, 6-2 7-6 (7-1)
Novak Djokovic def. Robin Soderling, 6-4 6-4
Nicolas Kiefer def. Nikolay Davydenko, 4-6 6-4 6-4
Marin Cilic def. Andy Roddick, 6-4 4-6 6-4
James Blake def. Dmitry Tursunov, 4-6 6-1 6-4
Andy Murray def. Stainslas Wawrinka, 6-2 0-6 6-4
Gilles Simon def. Jose Acasuso, 6-3 6-4
*
*
East West Bank Classis (Los Angeles)
*
Sybille Bammer def. Anna Chakvetadze, 6-4 5-7 6-2
Nadia Petrova def. Vera Zvonareva, 6-4 7-5
Victoria Azarenka def. Samantha Stosur, 6-4 7-6 (7-4)
Flavia Pennetta def. Ai Sugiyama, 7-6 (7-5) 6-3
Yuan Meng def. Melanie South, 6-2 6-3
Jelena Jankovic def. Melinda Czink, 6-3 6-2
Bethanie Mattek def. Olga Govortsova, 7-5 6-2
*
*
Banka Koper Slovenia Open (Portoroz)
*
Maria Kirilenko def. Roberta Vinci, 6-1 6-2
Julia Goerges def. Katarina Srebotnik, 6-4 6-2
Sara Errani def. Mara Santangelo, 6-2 6-4
Elena Bovina def. Camille Pin, 6-3 5-7 7-6 (8-6)

No comments: