Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gear Shift

I am very, very glad that I wasn't around watching the scores when Federer played Ginepri. I think I might just have exploded. Roger Federer does NOT lose three times in a row.
*
Luckily, he didn't, for anyone who might not have seen the result yet. The first two sets were tie-breakers, Ginepri winning the first, Federer the second, with a big ol' bagel in the third. So the real Roger, the awesome Roger, is clearly still there. The talent hasn't gone away, nor the ability, nor the fitness, nor the anything. He's just having a few issues with his gear shift. And I'm pretty confident he can sort that out.
*
And to tell the truth, I'd be worried if he were playing Supreme Almighty God Tennis in the first round anyway. That would be a sure sign of peaking too early.
*
He's facing Karlovic in the next round, which I think should be a really good match for him. Karlovic has that huge serve, but otherwise plays reasonably predictable percentage tennis. I think it'll give R-Fed a bit of a chance to work himself out and settle down a bit - before the inevitable glorious future.
*
Meanwhile, my bracket is totally shot... as I somehow now seem to have picked Clement to reach the final, as Stan has disappeared mysteriously from the draw. I have this vague sensation that that... oh, I don't know, maybe won't happen? I'm still doing all right at the moment, but Cilic lost, and I picked him to reach the semis. I hope Stan is all right... he is important to Roger and the doubles and Switzerland and stuff! And also he is a nice boy in his own right.
*
But seriously, Clement/Cilic disaster aside, I am still doing pretty all right on this bracket thing. I have 22 points - the leaders have 26. That's not too bad. I really am getting better at it! Though I will inevitably lose 90,000 million points when Clement loses. Though it would be pretty neat if he made it to the final. I would look really smart, and it wouldn't even have anything to do with me!
*
A good win for our Mr Moya as well, taking out ever-dangerous Tipsarevic - also picked in the Jodi Bracket of Excellence, though perhaps more from wishful thinking than anything else. Still, sometimes wishful thinking does the job done. Carlos doesn't seem to have been doing that well this year, but he's still hanging about in the top thirty, so he must be doing something right. Good on him. I like Carlos. He's my poster boy for thirty-something tennis.
*
And Dmitry beat Marat, which was always going to be bittersweet. I had picked Marat, but no one can say Dima didn't deserve it. I would really like to see him make a big run for it at this year's US Open. He is so talented and so good on hard courts that it's almost surprising he hasn't gone hugely deep at the US or the Australian before. But I have a wee feeling... and we know my feelings aren't always to be trusted, as they get mixed up with wishful thinking, but sometimes they're right on the money.
*
Oh, and meanwhile, I SO don't believe this. Roddick has just pulled out, to be replaced with Woong-Sun Jun. I bet that American crowd watching those two warm up is super thrilled about that. What's wrong now, Andy? Is this all about US Open preparation too?
*
And on a nicer note, congrats to Chris Guccione. I didn't know he was even in the draw, but he totally won his match today. Though speaking of Australians... where's Lleyton? Is he doing that thing he does where he doesn't play any tournaments except Slams? Because I don't like that thing at all.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Western and Southern Financial Group Masters (Cincinatti)
*
Roger Federer def. Robby Ginepri, 6-7 (2-7) 7-6 (7-5) 6-0
Jose Acasuso def. Paul Capdeville, 5-7 6-2 6-2
Dmitry Tursunov def. Marat Safin, 7-6 (7-5) 6-4
Gael Monfils def. Donald Young, 6-1 6-1
Carlos Moya def. Janko Tipsarevic, 7-6 (7-5)
John Isner def. Andrea Stoppini, 7-6 (7-2) 6-3
Richard Gasquet def. Michael Llodra, 3-6 6-1 1-0 retired
Gilles Simon def. Rajeev Ram, 7-6 (7-5) 6-4
Arnaud Clement def. Thomas Johansson, 7-6 (7-4) 6-7 (5-7) 6-3
Simone Bolelli def. Kevin Anderson, 6-3 7-6 (7-1)
Nicolas Lapentti def. Marin Cilic, 7-6 (7-5) 6-2
Chris Guccione def. Jesse Levine, 6-3 6-4
Fernando Verdasco def. Victor Estrella, 6-3 7-5
Florent Serra def. Benjamin Becker, 4-6 7-6 (8-6) 6-4
Ivo Karlovic def. Jose Acasuso, 6-3 7-6 (7-3)
Robin Soderling def. Tommy Robredo, 7-6 (8-6) 6-4
*
*
Rogers Cup (Montreal)
*
Svetlana Kuznetsova def. Alla Kudryavtseva, 6-1 1-0 retired
Victoria Azarenka def. Jamea Jackson, 6-1 6-1
Nadia Petrova def. Marie-Ève Pelletier, 6-0 6-1
Maria Kirilenko def. Anne Keothavong, 6-1 7-5
Flavia Pennetta def. Olga Savchuk, 1-6 7-5 6-3
Ai Sugiyama def. Nicole Vaidisova, 6-3 3-6 6-2
Sybille Bammer def. Monique Adamczak, 6-7 (6-8) 6-1 6-2
Alisa Kleybanova def. Ahsha Rolle, 6-4 6-2
Jill Craybas def. Sharon Fichman, 6-4 6-3
Marta Domachowska def. Bethanie Mattek, 7-5 6-2
Melinda Czink def. Julie Ditty, 7-6 (7-4) 6-0
*
*
Nordea Nordic Light Open (Stockholm)
*
Agnieszka Radwanska def. Nathalie Dechy, 6-2 6-3
Katarina Srebotnik def. Anna Lapushchenkova, 6-2 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki def. Angelique Kerber, 6-3 6-4
Anabel Medina Garrigues def. Sandra Roma, 6-3 6-1
Maria Elena Camerin def. Marina Erakovic, 6-3 6-4
Mariya Koryttseva def. Ekaterina Makarova, 6-3 6-4
Vera Dushevina def. Lucie Safarova, 7-6 (7-4) 6-3
Virginia Ruano Pascual def. María José Martínez Sánchez, 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 6-2
Barbora Zahlavova Strycova def. Petra Cetkovska, 6-4 6-7 (2-7) 6-4
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova def. Ekaterina Bychkova, 6-4 3-6 6-1
Johanna Larsson def. Julia Goerges, 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 6-4

No comments: