Friday, July 25, 2008

To Be Due

So Cilic lost. So now I have nothing left in this tournament, pretty much. My bracket is pretty much destructo. Not one of my four semi final picks made it through. I was pretty certain with Federer at least... but alas, these things happen. Think of the Olympics. Think of the Olympics.
*
My picks were Federer, Youzhny, Soderling and Ferrer. Instead, we have Simon (who beat my Marin!), Kiefer, Murray and Nadal. Not the four you would have picked - and indeed, I picked none of them. I like Rafa, but I really, really wish he hadn't made it through. My heart belongs to Roger, and I do not like this threat to the #1 ranking, no, I do not.
*
You've got to have your money on Rafa winning the tournament now, but both Federer and Djokovic have suffered 'odd' losses this tournament... Djokovic's potentially a little less odd, but you'd normally put your money on him over Andy Murray any day. We all know my extreme loathing for Djokovic, but did it have to be Andy Murray that beat him? I don't like Andy Murray either, and I really want to go for him in the semis because I don't want Rafa to win because of the Roger thing but I just cannot justify it to myself.
*
Oh, the drama of things I am in no way involved in.
*
Wouldn't it be nice, though, for some random to win the tournament? I'm still bearing some ill will against Simon for the whole Federer thing, but it wouldn't be so bad if he were to go on and win. Hell, it might even make me feel better about the whole Federer thing. Or Kiefer. I'm not a huge Kiwi fan, but he has worked so hard coming back from that injury that it might be a nice reward. Or, sigh, Murray. He really deserves a big tournament win - he's not had one yet, not a BIG tournament.
*
Ironically, of these four, I like Rafa the best. But I desperately, desperately want him not to win. Because I will always like Roger more. (Not to be confused with Roger Moore... oh, what an awful pun.)
*
But Djokovic lost. And oh, that made my day.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Rogers Masters (Toronto)
*
Richard Gasquet def. David Ferrer, 6-3 6-3
Nicolas Kiefer def. James Blake, 6-1 6-2
Gilles Simon def. Marin Cilic, 3-6 6-2 6-3
Andy Murray def. Novak Djokovic, 6-3 7-6 (7-3)
Rafael Nadal def. Richard Gasquet, 6-7 (10-12) 6-2 6-1
*
*
East West Bank Classic (Los Angeles)
*
Jelena Jankovic def. Nadia Petrova, 7-5 6-4
Dinara Safina def. Victoria Azarenka, 6-3 6-1
Flavia Pennetta def. Sybille Bammer, 7-6 (7-3) 3-6 6-1
Bethanie Mattek def. Yuan Meng, 6-2 7-5
*
*
Banka Koper Slovenia Open (Portoroz)
*
Sara Errani def. Maria Kirilenko, 6-1 7-5
Caroline Wozniacki def. Vera Dushevina, 6-0 6-1
Anabel Medina Garrigues def. Elena Bovina, 6-3 6-2
Julia Goerges def. Petra Martic, 6-3 4-6 6-4

No comments: