Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Jo-W's War

Bold words from Jo-W Tsonga this morning - he's after the #1 ranking and he's thrown down the gauntlet to everyone else. He's not letting himself be intimidated - Jo-W is going for broke. The word 'war' was used and that sounds exactly like what Jo-W intends.
*
Do I think Jo-W can get to #1? Probably not. In an era of weaker players, maybe, but we have two of the all-time greats playing at the moment in Federer and Nadal, and though Djokovic and Murray probably don't qualify for that club, they're no slouches. I could see Jo-W overtaking them, however... but #1? Probably not.
*
Still, that does not mean I do not wholly applaud the sentiment. That's one of the things I really love about Jo-W - he has this totally fearless attitude. He backs himself totally. Fine, I made it to the final of the Aussie Open last year, he says. This year, I'm going to win. I love that - that undaunted, unafraid attitude. Dominant players are often dominant in part because of fear: it's a battle in the mind, where they seem invincible, so they are invincible. Jo-W doesn't have that. He believes, 100%, that he can win matches. It reminds me a lot of a certain young Mallorcan, actually... and look where that guy is now. Receiving 8 million payouts to be the face of tourism for Mallorca and the Spanish Islands. Maybe Jo-W could be the face of the Riviera or something.
*
So kudos to you, Jo-W. I don't think I want you to win your war - we all know my heart lies with Roger Federer - but good on you for not being afraid to try: and if you should happen to knock off Djokovic and Murray on the way, I would not be disappointed.
*
*
Josh's Tennis Tips
Focus: Forehand
Today's Tip: Feet and Legs
*
When you follow through with your forehand you should put your front leg out in front of your body. This is to get the most out of your shots and for the best guidance of the ball.

No comments: