Thursday, August 7, 2008

Brought To You By The Letter G

That man Marat is doing his thing! He won in straights over Wayne Odesnik, and convincingly too. I have a good feeling about this week for him. This could be it. This could be the tournament of Marat, the first one back since Australia '05.
*
And if I can make it happen by sheer force of will...
*
As usual, there is not much to talk about except my will for Safin to win a tournament. Juan Martin del Potro is doing well again. Marc Gicquel's doing okay too. Carlos Moya (hopefully) is going to win in a minute over Amer Delic... or maybe not. Ooh! Doubles! Safin and Kunitsyn are in the semis! That's cool!
*
It's really all about the Olympics, when it comes down to it. It is the reason LA is not exactly the world's most captivating tournament. I mean, apart from Marat. It's all about going for gold and glory and all the other things that begin with g.
*
Meanwhile, how much of a bitch of a first round draw does the Mighty Fed have? Dmitry Tursunov really isn't a match for him, but really - would you like to run into Tursunov in the first round? The Australian media - in what little attention it is paying to tennis, which is not much, as we haven't a prayer of getting a medal - is going on about how Nadal could meet Hewitt in the second round. Personally, with Hewitt in his current state of fitness, I would be very surprised to see him make it through the first round, where he plays Jonas Bjorkman. And if he does make it through to Nadal, whether or not this tiredness Rafa claims is a factor, he will be demolished. Lleyton has no chance next to Rafa. Less than none.
*
Our other man, Guccione, faces Blake. So, bye bye Gooch. If we're going to get a medal in the singles, it'll probably be Dellacqua. Not that I think she will get one, but if one of the Aussies is... in doubles, Stosur might do okay - who is she playing with? My favourite sport, and I know next to nothing about what the Aussies are doing. Some patriot I am. But I have never claimed to be one, so that's all right. We all know where my tennis loyalties lie.
*
I know the date on this post is the seventh, but it's the morning of the eighth here as I write it - 08/08/08. And that means two things. One, it's the Opening Ceremony. But two, and much more importantly, it is Roger Federer's 27th birthday. Happy (slightly early) birthday, Roger. You will always, always be my favourite.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Countrywide Classic (Los Angeles)
*
Marat Safin def. Wayne Odesnik, 6-3 6-2
Mardy Fish def. Vince Spadea, 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 6-0
Marc Gicquel def. Donald Young, 6-3 6-3
Juan Martin del Potro def. Andrea Stoppini, 6-4 6-2
Amer Delic def. Carlos Moya, 6-2 6-7 (5-7) 7-6 (7-5)

No comments: