Friday, August 15, 2008

Doubles Rules!

Singles shmingles. Doubles rules!
*
So Rafa Nadal and Fernando Gonzalez are facing off for an Olympic gold medal. Good for them - but so what? The doubles action is where it's AT!
*
Not that I am in any way prejudiced by who is in the doubles final, or anything.
*
I know I said yesterday that it's more important to be a fan of the game than the player, etc, etc, et al, op cit, but seriously, is there anyone that deserves an Olympic medal more than Roger Federer? He may be the outgoing #1, but he's going to be #1 in the public mind for quite some mind, and though Rafa is a lovely boy and excellent for the sport and stuff, I don't think he's going to be quite the tennis statesman that Federer was and is. One of the real reasons for this - and it is totally not Rafa's fault, it's just a fact of life - is that Federer speaks better English. With the USA at the centre of the world's sporting press, Federer's English has made him more marketable. Simple as that.
*
Though I do love Rafa's English... the gems he comes up with can be awesome. I love reading his press conferences. Not in a mocking way - because though I love Roger more, I really am quite fond of Rafa - but there are some awesome ones. Then there is the 'famous ass' quote... yeah, I don't know if Rafa's ever going to live that one down.
*
I suppose we should talk about Rafa some, because he's going to be on that dais for sure - and to tell the truth, I'd like to see him win the gold medal now that Federer is out of the singles. If Roger had been in the final and Rafa had beaten him, I think that might have been a bit of a disaster, but because Roger didn't lose to Rafa, then I have no problems with Rafa winning. I would love to see him win. Of all the players this year - and I include Roger in this - Rafa really deserves it most. He's been playing like someone worthy of a gold medal. This is his career year -it's going to be really, really hard for him to improve on this! So Rafa for gold. Fernando silver. And though I think Djokovic is probably going to beat it, I'd like to see Blake win bronze. It's going to be interesting to see who is the Di Pasquale-esque spoiler there.
*
But - doubles! How awesome is Team Fedrinka? I would love to see them team up at a few other events, because though singles will always be my true love, doubles is just so much fun! And not only did they take out the newly reconciled Indian pair, Bhupathi and Paes, who have multiple doubles Slam titles between them, they took out the Bryans - the fricking Bryans - in straights! Now that is something else. I've seen the Bryans play live, and they totally have this kind of psychic radar - they just know where the other is going to be. I don't whether this is a twin thing or because they play together all the time and never switch partners, but it's quite incredible. You just don't appreciate it when you see it on TV.
*
That said, in that match, BryanBryan lost to Gasquet and Tsonga in a total thriller, so they are beatable. But who would have thought Team Fedrinka, who had won all of one match coming into the Olympics, could take them out? I know they're both excellent singles players, but that doesn't necessarily translate into good team player - in fact, it rarely does. I had, I admit, resigned myself to a bronze medal match for Roger and Stan - so I am absolutely over the moon! I would love to see them win gold - because after all that Roger has done over the years, as well as all that Martina Hingis did before him, Switzerland deserves a tennis gold medal! - but just knowing they'll be on the dais is awesome. A silver medal is no mean feat. Finally, Roger can add that elusive medal to his trophy cabinet - and I hope it's gold!
*
Oh yeah, and that other doubles match? The Swedes against the French, that went to 19-17 in the third? AWESOME MATCH! DOUBLES RULES!
*
And over to the girls for a second - DAVAI DINARA! I told you she could and would take out Jelena Jankovic! She may be out in the doubles - sorry Sveta - but she totally owns this gold medal now. Safina, Zvonareva, Dementieva and Li. Anyone else smelling a very Russian podium?
*
*
Today's Results
*
Games of the XXIX Olympiad (Beijing)
*
Men's Draw - Singles
*
Rafael Nadal def. Novak Djokovic, 6-4 1-6 6-4
Fernando Gonzalez def. James Blake, 4-6 7-5 11-9
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Dinara Safina def. Jelena Jankovic, 6-2 5-7 6-3
*
*
Men's Draw - Doubles
*
Federer/Wawrinka def. Bryan/Bryan, 7-6 (8-6) 6-4
Aspelin/Johansson def. Clement/Llodra, 7-6 (8-6) 1-6 19-17
Federer/Wawrinka def. Bhupathi/Paes, 6-2 6-4
*
*
Women's Draw - Doubles
*
Yan/Zheng def. Kuznetsova/Safina, 6-3 5-7 10-8
Williams/Williams def. Vesnina/Zvonareva, 6-4 6-0
Medina Garrigues/Ruano Pascual def. Davenport/Huber, 5-7 7-6 (8-6) 8 6
Bondarenko/Bondarenko def. Pennetta/Schiavone, 6-1 3-6 7-5
*
*
Legg Mason Tennis Classic (Washington)
*
Juan Martin del Potro def. John Isner, 6-4 6-4
Tommy Haas def. Alejandro Falla, 7-5 6-1
Somdev Devvarman def. Robert Kendrick, 6-2 6-7 (5-7) 7-5
*
*
Western and Southern Financial Group Women's Open (Cincinatti)
*
Nadia Petrova def. Lilia Osterloh, 6-2 6-3
Maria Kirilenko def. Sabine Lisicki, 6-2 1-6 6-1
Nathalie Dechy def. Aleksandra Wozniak, 7-6 (7-4) 7-5

No comments: