Friday, August 1, 2008

Not Exactly Well-Wishing

Well, all joy has pretty much gone out of Cincy for me. I haven't checked my bracket, but I must be, oh, I don't know, last. The semi finalists are Djokovic, Murray, Karlovic and probably Rafa - he's just about to begin his match against Nicolas Lapentti, but I don't see Lapentti stopping him, somehow. The commentators at Wimbledon used 'relentless' as a buzzword when talking about Rafa, and they were damn right. If Rafa wins this one, he will not only become #1, but it will be his sixth tournament on the trot. Now that is just crazy talk.
*
Speaking of people trying to become #1, Jelena Jankovic had another chance to take the ranking this week when Ivanovic lost early in Montreal, and has screwed it up again. I don't know if it's choking or if she's injured again, but seriously, Roger Federer ain't the only one who needs to get his head in the game. She lost to Dominika Cibulkova. And that's just not right.
*
Though I suppose I can hope that if one #2 doesn't overtake the #1, the same will be true for the other... but no. Am not wishing ill on Rafa Nadal. Deserving #1. Deserving #1.
*
Now if it were Djokovic that were making a charge, I would totally have my voodoo doll out. But not for Rafa. He's good. And he deserves this... even though I can't help wishing he doesn't get it.
*
At least things are still looking good for me in women's tennis! Dinara Safina is still alive in Montreal, and looking sharp. Her quarter final starts in about twenty minutes, and you can bet I'll be following that instead of the Rafa match. I may not wish ill on Rafa, but it doesn't mean I can bear to watch, either.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Western and Southern Financial Group Masters (Cincinatti)
*
Ivo Karlovic def. Philipp Kohlschreiber, 7-6 (8-6) 7-6 (7-3)
Andy Murray def. Carlos Moya, 2-6 6-3 6-1
Novak Djokovic def. Ernests Gulbis, 6-3 6-4
*
*
Rogers Cup (Montreal)
*
Marion Bartoli def. Ai Sugiyama, 6-2 6-3
Dominika Cibulkova def. Jelena Jankovic, 7-5 6-2
*
*
Nordea Nordic Light Open (Stockholm)
*
Agnieszka Radwanska def. Camille Pin, 6-2 1-0 retired
Katarina Srebotnik def. Virginia Ruano Pascual, 6-2 6-0
Caroline Wozniacki def. Anabel Medina Garrigues, 6-1 6-3
Vera Dushevina def. Iveta Benesova, 6-3 6-3

2 comments:

JoshDragon90 said...

Not a fan of Djokovic huh?:D

Jodi said...

I think I put it mildly when I say 'hell no.' :)