Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hot Chilli Cilic

What a match that was between Djokovic and Cilic! It may have not gone the full, full distance - it was four sets instead of five - but damn if it wasn't tight! There wasn't much you could split them on - how good was that first set with the insane tiebreaker at the end? Even though Djokovic came out on top, which was definitely not my preferred outcome, I enjoyed every second of it. It was a FABULOUS match!
*
I am so proud of Marin Cilic. He's so young, and he was clearly having problems with his knees, but he played Djokovic like an equal. He was smokin' hot for a lot of this match. This wasn't an up-and-comer playing a current superstar. This was two guys playing on basically level pegging. Djokovic might have had a little bit of experience which helped him out when the going got tough, but he had his choke moments as well, and Marin pounced. I roared myself hoarse when Djokovic was serving for the match in the fourth, 5-4, 40-15 up - and Cilic came back! Marin may not be in the top ten yet, but can anybody gainsay him? I challenge anyone to tell me that Marin Cilic will not one day be a top ten player. Croatia, you can be damn proud of this boy. Ljubicic and Ancic were and still are excellent players, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Cilic eclipse them both in the fullness of time.
*
Djokovic didn't play especially badly, either - I wouldn't say it was the best match I have ever seen him play, but he didn't suck. This wasn't a match that he almost lost, it was a match that Cilic almost won. Once Djokovic got his nose in front, he stayed there, but Cilic was hot on his tail the whole time. The tiebreak in that fourth set was heartbreaking, really... Cilic had worked so hard to get that break back, and then to lose the breaker 7-0 was very sad. But still, even the match maybe ended on a bit of a downer, he has a lot he can be proud of. Considering that he lost in qualies for the US Open last year, to come into it seeded this year and play at such a high level is an awesome achievement. And you just wait till next year. Cilic in the final is not unthinkable. This kid is going to be awesome. And I spotted him when he was all young and wet behind the ears. Go me. Oh, and go him. And stuff.
*
Onto other people I like a lot, how awesome was Roger's win over Stepanek? That was some sweet shot-making - and his netplay was just awesome. I love that he wasn't afraid to come in, and he played beautifully when he was there. Stepanek may be weird-looking, but he's a crafty player, coming off a win against the Fed in Rome, and Roger just crushed him dead. He did a great impression of a human backboard, and that forehand was firing on all four cylinders, which is something we haven't seen for a while. Oh yes, I was very satisfied. I am very, very happy with Roger's form right now.
*
Going back to Djokovic for a minute, I noticed that he is setting himself up for a retirement in the future, if one is, ahem, necessary. There was that ankle injury in the first round - which I'm sure is genuine - and now there's reports of some stomach thing going round. I refuse to believe that anyone is sick as often as Djokovic claims he is - and if he finds himself down in the semi against Federer and does a runner, then I will be all smug and go AHAHAHAHAHA! CAUGHT YOU, NOVAK!
*
Not that I am cynical when it comes to Djokovic, or anything.
*
It was bit sad to see human chainsaw Jo-W Tsonga go out to Tommy Robredo, but for his first tournament back, this was a pretty good showing. He played to his seed, which is something that is not nothing, and I think the only way is up. If he can remain uninjured and doesn't contract a case of Safin Knee, then Jo-W is going to become a force again. I would love to see him do well in Australia again next year, because he is just so much fun to watch.
*
Speaking of fun guys, I still haven't solved the mystery of the whereabouts of smiley happy Marcos. Anyone know where he's got to? It would be very tragic if he were badly injured.
*
Meanwhile, according to Tennis Australia, there are currently five players in contention for #1 in the women, though I'm not sure who has to do what. There were six, but Sveta is obviously gone. Ivanovic can keep it, though one imagines that would be hard. Safina, Dementieva and Serena can all take it, though I would imagine they'd have to win. Jankovic has to reach the semis, but I don't know if that's dependent on how everyone else performs or what. Le mystery.
*
Oh, and today's shoutout goes to the Arevalo family of El Salvador. Remember Rafael Arevalo from the Olympics, who fought bravely, considering his ranking? I noticed in the juniors that there is another player from El Salvador - a Marcelo Arevalo. Brother, perhaps? In any case, vamos!
*
*
Today's Results
*
US Open (Flushing Meadows)
*
Men's Draw
*
Roger Federer def. Radek Stepanek, 6-3 6-3 6-2
Novak Djokovic def. Marin Cilic, 6-7 (7-9) 7-5 6-4 7-6 (7-0)
Andy Roddick def. Andreas Seppi, 6-2 7-5 7-6 (7-4)
Fernando Gonzalez def. Jarkko Nieminen, 7-5 6-4 6-7 (3-7) 6-1
Tommy Robredo def. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, 7-6 (7-2) 6-2 6-3
Nikolay Davydenko def. Dmitry Tursunov, 6-2 7-6 (7-3) 6-3
Gilles Muller def. Nicolas Almagro, 6-7 (3-7) 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 7-6 (8-6) 7-5
Igor Andreev def. Fernando Verdasco, 6-2 6-4 6-4
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Elena Dementieva def. Li Na, 6-4 6-1
Jelena Jankovic def. Caroline Wozniacki, 3-6 6-2 6-1
Sybille Bammer def. Marion Bartoli, 7-6 (7-3) 0-6 6-4
Patty Schnyder def. Katarina Srebotnik, 4-6 6-3 6-3

No comments: