Wednesday, August 6, 2008

That Young Guy

So it looks like Hamburg lost their lawsuit against the ATP. I don't know if I really have an opinion (or feel justified having one) on this issue, but you can't help feeling sorry for them. Hamburg has been such an important tournament for so long and to be relegated like that, and moved, and all kinds of other things... no wonder they tried. But they lost. And now they'll be later in the year, post-Roland Garros, so the star quality won't be nearly so high... though some of them will play on the stuff day in, day out if they can help it. But I'd be very surprised to see the Federers and Nadals of this world there.
*
So vale, Hamburg of old. You were a fun tournament while you lasted.
*
I wonder how this will effect the rankings? Probably not at all, now that I think of it... it's done by week, not by ranking, yesno? Which is how we know Rafa will become #1 (sob) though he isn't yet - because Roger has yet to drop the points from Montreal and Cincy last year. SO Hamburg will be swept into the corner, to become one of those clay tournaments I rail about. That's really sad, actually.
*
What isn't sad is that Marat Safin beat John Isner in straights. I know I always overestimate Isner and that really, the Safins of this world should never lose to the Isners, but still - go Marat! He faces Odesnik next, and provided he keeps his head on straight, he should win easily. I hope he's learning something from his sister's new attitude. Dinara's insanely talented, but the reason she's winning at the moment is that she wants it, and she wants it bad - and she's not backing down. I would love to see non-backing-down Marat too. I would LOVE him to win this tournament. Love. LOVE.
*
Even the ATP seems to have conceded that this tournament is pretty dull - their coverage seems lacklustre at best. Their big story is that Donald Young upset Tommy Haas. Hardly world-changing stuff... but then, there's only so much to work with.
*
Actually, what is it with this Young kid? I've seen him lauded in some places as this crazy-good young guy who's going to be the future of American tennis, but this is the first time I can remember him winning a match. He hasn't even made a blip on my Stars of the Future radar - and I'm out there looking. I have my posse of young guys, and he never even made the shortlist. Hell, he never even made the longlist. I confess I haven't really paid much attention to him - but why should I? Can someone tell me why this kid is supposedly so good even though he seems to lose nearly all his matches? Because winning a few here and there is kind of key. That's why Gulbis and Cilic are looking so dangerous right now - they may not be winning tournaments yet, but they're getting a few wins nearly every time they step out there. They've made the first step.
*
Look at me ragging on Young. I bet he goes on to win the tournament now. That would be just my luck.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Countrywide Classic (Los Angeles)
*
Dusan Vemic def. Sam Warburg, 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 6-4
Donald Young def. Tommy Haas, 6-2 6-4
Marat Safin def. John Isner, 6-3 6-4
Carlos Moya def. Xavier Malisse, 6-2 1-6 7-6 (7-5)
Amer Delic def. Dudi Sela, 6-4 6-4
Vince Spadea def. Sebastien Grosjean, 6-3 3-6 6-3
Denis Gremelmayr def. Feliciano Lopez, 7-5 7-5
Florent Serra def. Fernando Verdasco, 6-2 7-6 (7-4)

2 comments:

Tennis Talk, Anyone? said...

Hey Jodi, what's up? Davydenko beat Young something like 7-5 in the third in Connecticutt last year and afterward said he's the best American player out there. The reporter asked him about Roddick and Blake, and Davydenko still said no because those two can't hurt you with their backhands (even though he's like 1-12 or something against the both of them!)

I could go on forever about Young, mainly because I have issues about the way his career is being handled. He played in ATP main draws for a few years thanks to wildcards and would get destroyed. Last year, he played more Challengers and got his ranking up. But this year, he's regressing already.

If he were to work on going about his career as a pro does, he would be top 20 by the end of next year, no question.

Maybe it'll come together for him here.--Van

Jodi said...

Maybe that's why I have this impression of Young as totally underwhelming - if he's playing in main draws before he's ready. The matches that I remember are the ones where he's been demolished - was it last year where Berlocq handed him a double bagel? (Was it even Berlocq?)

Here's hoping it works out for him!