Thursday, August 21, 2008

Everybody Hates Etienne

Etienne de Villers is retiring. I bet there's a lot of people that are really, really sad about that. Weeping, wailing, gnashing their teeth, etc, etc. Except not.
*
I am right, aren't I? Everybody hates Etienne, yesno? That has certainly been the impression I've had. He seems to have changed everything round really fast, and I don't think people have liked that very much at all... especially the Hamburg tournament. I do like the fact he added an Asian swing, as I think that was lacking - but I think the players know best.
*
I know there's a players council, and that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all sit on it - does anyone know how much attention people pay to them? I would like to think it's a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. Important as I think it should be, something like that has token written all over it. Actually, wasn't it why the three big boys decided to run for office? To give it a higher profile? I think Ivan Ljubicic and James Blake used to sit on it, and while they're very important and lovely men, they don't quite have the clout that the Big Three do. And even though I have personal objections to certain members (well, member) of the Big Three, I think they're all good choices. Roger is the ultimate tennis statesman. Rafa is dogged. And Novak could just annoy people till they did what he wanted.
*
I remember reading somewhere that a few years back, when they were planning a major overhaul of the schedule - was it 2005? Maybe 2004? - that four of the players sat down with the ATP guys in a hotel room and nutted it out. Federer was there, and Safin, and I think Rafa, but I can't remember who else. I wonder how much of that there was under the Age of Etienne? (I'm pretty sure that was pre-Etienne.) I have a feeling the council got marginalised. I know there was a lot of unrest. So kudos to the Big Three, who might well be partially responsible for the decision of de Villiers. I would like to think so, anyway.
*
This means there'll be looking for a new guy, and while I don't know who they should pick this time, I know someone who would make an excellent Etienne in future. Can you go past Ivan Ljubicic?
*
And another shoutout to my boy Luka Gregorc, who is in the semis in New Haven, despite coming through qualies and being ranked #434 or something in the world. He has taken out several big names this week, including Ivo Karlovic, and his next victim was Andreas Seppi, who he took out in the quarters. Wouldn't it be awesome to see him win? I love a good underdog (except when the underdog is playing Federer.) I confess I am going for Cilic, but should he lose, then Luka all the way!
*
*
Today's Results
*
Pilot Pen Tennis (New Haven)
*
Men's Draw
*
Fernando Verdasco def. Mischa Zverev, 6-2 7-6 (7-4)
Luka Gregorc def. Andreas Seppi, 4-6 6-4 7-5
Mardy Fish def. Jesse Levine, 6-3 7-6 (7-4)
*
*
Women's Draw
*
Anna Chakvetadze def. Sorana Cirstea, 6-3 6-3
Alizé Cornet def. Daniela Hantuchova, 3-6 6-4 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki def. Marion Bartoli, 6-4 6-0
Amélie Mauresmo def. Agnes Szavay, 6-4 7-5
*
*
Forest Hills Tennis Classic (Forest Hills)
*
Iveta Benesova def. Ekaterina Makarova, 2-6 6-2 6-4
Carla Suárez Navarro def. Martina Müller, 6-2 6-0
Peng Shuai def. Vera Dushevina, 6-4 7-5
Lucie Safarova def. Jamea Jackson, 3-6 6-3 6-0

No comments: