Friday, August 28, 2009

The Big Questions Answered

Well, the draws are out and the two big questions are answered:

Federer and Nadal - opposite sides of the draw.

Venus and Serena - same side.

I'm pretty glad about both, I have to say - I can't say I'm really too keen on the notion of another Williams/Williams final, because it just seems... well, they haven't performed particularly well in the tournaments between Slams, and it seems a little... well, unjustified. I know this is a bad, bad thing to say, because coming to the party at the Slams is what the Williamses do.. but it just seems fundamentally unfair.

This is probably not a popular sentiment, but I'll be glad to see a Williams/someone else final. I think we can be pretty sure it'll be Williams in the final, and I would say it would be Serena of that ilk... with the WTA tour in its current state, the way is open for a Williams to step up to the plate at the Slams.

But I would dearly love to see a good run from someone on the other side of the draw - for that finalist to win through by winning, not just by not losing. And I would love for it to be Dinara Safina, to shake that Slamless #1 thing... not that I would rate her too much of a chance against Serena, but I'd like to see her do something that'd make herself and Zeljko proud. It's rare that you feel sorry for a #1 for sort of being picked on by the rest of the field, but I feel that with Dinara. I would love for her to do well.

Oh, and I'm glad Roger and Rafa have been separated. For obvious reasons!


Today's Results

Pilot Pen Tennis (New Haven)

Women's Draw

Elena Vesnina def. Amelie Mauresmo, 5-7 6-1 6-2
Caroline Wozniacki def. Flavia Pennetta, 6-4 6-1

No comments: